New Discussion юеВ

Re: upgrade information on msl2024

SOLVED
Go to solution
badsector
Advisor

upgrade information on msl2024

Hi,

I'm doing an upgrade on a MSL2024 (currently on ULT-2 drivers) and putting together things I need to buy.

We will be doing an upgrade to ULT-4 1760 x 2 drives. However, in documentation I have found that these ULT-2 drives have a connection type Ultra160 LVD SCSI and the new ULT-4 1760 use Ultra320 LVD SCSI.

I have not found any documentation that we need to change the scsi cables. What else do I need to add to the drives that we are buying?
3 REPLIES 3
Ganz
Trusted Contributor

You might want to refer to the compatibility matrix for server-tape. Please follow the link www.hp.com/go/connect and select the appropriate server-drive option and click on the checkbox. The next page will give you the detailed compatibility information regarding the HBA options for the server model selected.
Efrain Valencia
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hello,

I would make sure to be using one of these controllers on your host:

HP SC11Xe SCSI Host Bus Adapter
NOTE: Single channel PCI-Express (PCI-e) SCSI Ultra 320 HBA.
412911-B21
** You will need two of these, one per drive

or

HP StorageWorks U320e SCSI Host Bus Adapter
NOTE: Dual channel PCI-Express (PCI-e) SCSI Ultra 320 HBA.
AH627A
** You need only one of these, one drive on each channel.

Also, I would verify the server has enough processing power and the raid levels as suggested in this document:

HP Surestore and StorageWorks - Performance Troubleshooting and Using Performance Assessment Tools
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50460

badsector
Advisor

I guess it would be much better to buy two scsi cards than one. It might be too much for the one with dual ports to serve these two drives?