Telecom IQ
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transforming Customer Engagement with Web Real Time Communication

Alain_Decartes

webRTC 1.jpgEven with all the technological options today, I still prefer an authentic human-to-human connection when I am contacting a support center. Apparently I am not alone as, according to the results of a large-scale study of more than 24,000 consumers in 12 countries published by Verint® Systems Inc. last year, 79% of customers contact a support center via phone.

What I certainly don’t like is all the steps required to speak to someone who could help me::

• Finding the company web site through a web search
  • Locating the “Contact us” link on the web page
  • Calling the number using my home or mobile phone
  • Navigating through the IVR that is proposed to me
  • Waiting endlessly through on-hold time with, if I am lucky, only one of “Vivaldi’s Four Seasons,” if not all of them
  • Establishing my identity and context again when speaking to the agent as the IVR has lost it
  • Finally, a voice-only experience with a faceless, even if friendly, representative

It’s such a poor customer service experience for me, but I should also suppose for the contact center agent. I have been driven to move to a competitor as a direct result of this kind of interaction and this is not good for the business and reputation of the company I left.

I understand why it becomes increasingly difficult for companies to attract customers, satisfy their requirements, and win their loyalty. How can a company provide a much richer customer experience while still facilitating the human-to-human connections, provide the expected 24/7 online services and innovate with faster-than-light interactivity and content-rich contexts?

Web Real Time Communication (WebRTC)

WebRTC Solutions can help solve these problems, by improving the transfer of contexts to contact centers in a seamless fashion, establishing calls only at the time when both parties are available to take them. With the ability to simply tap a button to enact a voice call or video share, customer services can be significant extended. Imagine going to a website, finding out who you need to speak to, and then simply clicking on their number to talk with a “call button” and have a chat or even video conversation—with no downloads or plugins to complicate things. Once the contact is established, WebRTC also enables a rich customer experience across a variety of modes and devices. The following figure shows an example of a call flow that implements this functionality.

This simple, yet effective, communication can even create new experiences such as explaining a problem to a technician using your phone with “see what I see” functions. Entering into a voice or video conversation is at the touch of a finger from any website—blending video, voice, and more advanced capabilities, such as document sharing, becomes truly intuitive. It also allows the communication to be started from a wide range of devices, such as smartphones, tablets, desktop computers or laptops, as well as adding WiFi networks or Rich Communications Services (RCS) clients to the traditional mobile networks.

An opportunity for communications service providers (CSPs)

For CSPs, WebRTC is a unique opportunity to re-establish themselves as the central player in the value chain for delivering communications services to consumers and enterprises —a position that’s been threatened by Over-the-Top (OTT) providers over time.

webrtc3.png

Flexibility is one of WebRTC’s main advantages, since it does not require any specific signaling protocol to control calls or any other type of communications. This significantly improves the users’ experience while having a deep impact on the business models. For example, with WebRTC, the agents can be located anywhere as long as they have adequate internet performance, and use any device with an approved browser and headset , eliminating costly telecom infrastructure, specialized equipment for their agents, and fixed location of agents..

It also offers more easily embedded rich communications capabilities into other CSP services, such as vertical applications, call centers, and prepaid offerings and will bring CSPs a step closer to implementing an omnichannel strategy.

WebRTC creates a rich, secure environment for third-party developers, enabling asset optimization while monetizing new aspects of the networks, such as quality of service, presence, preferences, and storage.

It makes it possible to provision optimized and virtual core network instances, dedicated to specific use cases for mobile virtual network enablers (MVNEs), OTT players, or large corporations, for example. WebRTC provides the right framework to open specific cloud based network instances in a secure manner and with the appropriate service‑level agreements (SLAs) to institutional entities.

Watch this video to learn how HPE WebRTC Gateway Controller helps Digital Virgo Business Solutions to develop a cloud-based contact center solution, via the WebRTC standard, allowing agents to manage voice calls from a location-independent web browser, removing the need for a costly telecommunications infrastructure.

WebRTC Applications and Enablement solution

The WebRTC Applications and Enablement solution by Hewlett Packard Enterprise, that includes the HPE WebRTC Gateway Controller, integrates Real Time Communication in any web page, such as chatting with an expert and switching to audio/video calls without the need for plug-ins. Examples include click-to-call, multi-device communication services, screen sharing, video sharing, call recording, audio and video conferencing, voice mail access, and unified communications.

The HPE WebRTC Gateway Controller standardizes how real-time communications are accessed and delivered through a simple web browser across any device. By integrating communications services as part of the web browsing experience, WebRTC removes one of the most important barriers to seamless multimedia communications and unleashes new types of services and uses.

So, if you want my business, you know what you need to do now.

Learn more about how HPE can help you to enrich your contact center with a carrier grade WebRTC Applications and Enablement solution by downloading the white paper Innovating with WebRTC  and the HPE WebRTC Gateway Controller Data Sheet.

Featured article:  30+ of the best mobility and IoT conferences in 2017-2018 

0 Kudos
About the Author

Alain_Decartes

Success-oriented marketing professional with domestic and international experience conveying Value Added Services and IT Services for Communications Service providers’ technologies and markets worldwide, including Cloud Services, Voice and Intelligent Network Services, Network Function Virtualization, Enterprise Mobility, Big Data and Security markets, to achieve leading positions in the cloud, communications and IT service provider segment (direct and indirect).

Labels
Events
June 5-6, 2018
Expert Days - 2018
Visit this forum and get the schedules for online HPE Expert Days where you can talk to HPE product experts, R&D and support team members and get answ...
Read more
June 19 - 21
Las Vegas, NV
HPE Discover 2018 Las Vegas
Visit this forum and learn about all things Discover 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada, June 19 - 21, 2018.
Read more