Tips and Tricks
1745804 Members
3474 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Kudos - what, where, how, and why! (Founder ribbon)

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Kudos - what, where, how, and why!

One of the exciting new features the new forum platform offers is a recognition system for contributions that your fellow community members have found helpful.  This system is known as "kudos".  It represents a virtual "pat on the back" from someone who found a particular post helpful or informative.

The kudo icon can be found in every post, just below the body of the message.  It looks like this:  kudos2.jpg

The left portion of the kudo icon indicates how many users have indicated that they found that particular post helpful.  So each new post starts with a kudo "score" of 0.

The right of the icon, the "thumbs up", is where any registered member of the community can indicate that they appreciated the post.  With a quick click of the mouse on the thumbs up, you'll be letting the author know that what they've shared in their post was helpful or interesting to you.  Once you've clicked on the thumbs up, the kudo score will increase by 1, (please note that you can't award yourself with a kudo).  If you've found that you've accidentally given a kudo where you didn't mean to, you can click on the "Options" pull-down menu for that post and select "Revoke My Kudos".

Any user that's logged in can provide a kudo - if you click on the thumbs up to award a kudo without being signed in at the time, you'll be prompted to log in.

Why should you give kudos?  Several reasons - it's a real-time feedback loop that lets people providing assistance and information here in the forums know that their efforts are appreciated and useful.  That recognition goes towards the author's forums ranking - so we can identify our users who have consistently provided excellent assistance to their fellow community members.  Also, a post with multiple kudos is a great indication to other people reading the discussion that a particular entry contains some great information.

Please feel free to ask any questions here about the kudos system that I may not have covered or made clear - the more our users take advantage of the kudos system, the more helpful it becomes - so please take a moment, and "give a thumbs up" when you come across an excellent post!

I work for HPE.
19 REPLIES 19
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Kudos - what, where, how, and why!

Hi Kevin:

How about some insight into why some members are marked as "Founder"s?  What's the criteria that was used for that designation?

Too, would you please share the member ranking criteria a la the old ITRC hats scale?

Thanks & Regards!

...JRF...

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Kudos - what, where, how, and why! (Founder ribbon)

>How about some insight into why some members are marked as "Founder"s?

It appears that only users in the old BSC forum got to be Founders.  They should have included people from the ITRC forum too.

>would you please share the member ranking criteria a la the old ITRC hats scale?

Perhaps you can figure it out from: Kudos Leaderboard

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/kudos/kudosleaderboardpage/timerange/all/page/1/tab/authors

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Looks like the rank title is not directly related to the rank in the list - how about ranks? How does it work?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

> ME: would you please share the member ranking criteria a la the old ITRC hats scale?

By this, I meant the *labels* associated with the individual contributors.  Clearly the kudos leaderboard presents the overall ranking.

...JRF...

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin,

for me it's a bit strange that the Kudos-system is used as a voting tool:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Awards-of-Excellence-Americas/T-Mobile/m-p/2399545

All 'Top Kudoed Posts' are like this!
Is this supposed to be like this?

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

JRF has been around since 1998. He was one of the first posters ever to the ITRC forums.

He deserves founder status.

As I understand it, rabbits posts awarded 7-10 points were transferred into kudos.

Any point assignment below 7 was thrown out.

Hence the change in rankings.
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Vadim Gorda
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I can spread a bit light on who has the Founder label next to name. It was added to people who registered on this HP Community forum before all the testings at its brand new start. If I am not mistaken it was like 1 or 1,5 years ago.

Regarding Kudos - I don't have any clue of how it was recalculated.

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Our imported ITRC users who had been long-time members of that forum should have had the "Founder" icon right away - but I've resolved that today and it should now be working for the appropriate users.

And I can confirm what's been posted here - each "Magic Hat" answer from the ITRC forums (where a post was awarded 8, 9, or 10 points) has transitioned into a "kudo".

Points were awarded in "groups" of 1-10 at a time - with 8, 9, or 10 points representing a "Thanks - this solved my problem" type of response.

With kudos - a user can assign one kudo to any particular post, which also represents a "thanks - this is a great post" concept.  The big difference is that kudos can be awarded by *any* user, not just the person who originally asked the question (which is the way points worked in the ITRC forums).

So for the migrated content, any post which had received 8 or more points became a "kudo".  Therefore the points -> kudos migration is *approximately* a 9/1 ratio, but it's a bit variable (a user who accumulated a lot of points by getting 1 or 2 at a time is not going to have many kudos, but a user who was getting 8-10 for each of their responses should have a lot of kudos - it's meant to be representative of the quality of their posts).

I work for HPE.
TomSmith
Regular Advisor

How can I assign 1/2 a kudo? With the previous point system you could distinguish between the posts that were useful and the ones that solved a particular problem. We seem to have lost any granularity.

-Tom