Transforming IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An IT Pro’s Pledge for World Backup Day

John_OConnor

March 31st is World Backup Day! I’m not sure what organization is behind this initiative, but it seems to me they’re providing a worthwhile service by reminding consumers to back up their data – especially if it’s true, as their website claims, that 30 percent of computer users have never backed up! That’s pretty astounding, as is the fact that, apparently, people need convincing to do a backup even once a year. The site promotes this “pledge”: “I solemnly swear to backup my important documents and precious memories on March 31st.”

twenty20_6d5143ea-c157-48a6-b41a-33e9dd4383ba.jpg

Well, that may provoke a smile from those of us who live, work and breathe data protection in the business world. But if it saves some folks from losing their data and the grief that goes along with that, then I’m all for it.

Here’s a “pledge” I’d like to suggest for IT managers:

“I not-so-solemnly swear to spend some time researching the latest backup, recovery and archiving technologies at least once a year.” The reason’s simple: the BURA world is moving fast these days, and if you don’t keep an eye on it you could be missing out on some impressive benefits. Here’s a couple of trends that spring to mind:

On-prem, consumption-based backup.

On-premises storage saddles you with large upfront costs and makes capacity planning tricky. Cloud-based backup offers tremendous flexibility and attractive economics, but it can’t give you complete peace of mind around data security and availability. What’s needed is a solution that combines the best of both worlds, and that’s what HPE GreenLake Backup gives you. As I wrote in my post Have Your Backup Cake – And Eat It Too, GreenLake Backup “provides hardware, CommVault data protection software and expertise designed to fit your organization’s specific backup needs at your location, with monthly flexible payments based on a straightforward pay-per-usage metric. You get all the assurance and control of on-prem IT, but with the flexibility and convenience of the cloud.”

Tape storage innovations.

If you haven’t checked out the latest in tape archive solutions for a while, now’s a good time. Despite the proliferation of new options for long-term retention, such as flash, tape is holding its own in the market and even enjoying something of a resurgence. In a November post, HPE blogger Kate Davis noted that more data is being stored on tape than ever before, with record levels of capacity shipments in 2016. Businesses are using tape “as an added layer of protection against cybercrime and ransomware attacks and to lower data center risk with reliable offline and off-premises data protection,” she adds. And the advances keep coming. For example, HPE’s new LTO-8 tape technology offers double the capacity of the previous LTO-7 generation, up to 30TB compressed.

Don’t forget, HPE Pointnext can partner with you to get the most out of cutting-edge storage and BURA technologies for your business.

Finally, remember to back up your personal devices at home as well. Happy World Backup Day!

Featured articles:

0 Kudos
About the Author

John_OConnor

Worldwide Portfolio Business Service Manager

Events
Read for dates
HPE at 2019 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2019.
Read more
Read for dates
HPE Webinars - 2019
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more