Transforming IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DevOps: Perfect-Fit for Business and the Millennial Workforce

KellyBaig

I sat in on an internal DevOps briefing here at HPE today. In the briefing, our teams continued the discussion of what DevOps really is, and why it is critical for helping IT teams to work better to serve business.

In another briefing call also today, I was acquainted with some of the latest thinking on the millennial workforce – which suddenly (it seems) and currently comprises MORE than 50% of the workforce worldwide. Also, by the way, Boomers are staying in the workforce longer than previous generations, so the demographic mix is definitely disrupted.

How are these two topics related? Today’s briefings are an example of how apparently unrelated topics sometimes dove-tail, with the result of a deepened understanding of both. That’s the case here. As it turns out, the factors motivating millennials are factors which characterize DevOps. In short, DevOps methods appear to be made for how millennials prefer to work – and millennials appear to be made for what DevOps requires.

What motivates millennial workers?

In the briefing that I attended, some of the key characteristics of the new workforce include:

• A preference for working in teams vs independent work
  • A preference for collaboration vs cooperation
  • A preference for team awards vs individual recognition
  • An expectation of technology-enablement in everything
  • A demand for a high quality work experience vs traditional business “wins”
  • A demand for meaningful work with tangible contributions and outcomes

How does this fit with DevOps?

DevOps depends on a collaborative approach within IT cutting across traditionally siloed technology functions, as well requiring that IT operate in collaboration with other parts of the business. It demands that the people in IT change their traditional thinking and approaches, no longer focusing on efficiencies and cost-control but instead focusing on business contributions and outcomes.

Ultimately, DevOps enables business to serve their customers better. Which is a more meaningful type of IT work, and fits the type of work that millennials should find to be more attractive and rewarding.

This is good news for all types of businesses with IT teams that need to progress their IT methodologies, and improve their business outcomes. The natural evolution of the workforce should make this progress easier to achieve.

I captured a slide from the DevOps presentation that I like particularly well. I think it shows – accurately – that DevOps adoption is a multi-step journey and not an over-night trip. It also shows that no matter where you start, there is an appropriate path forward for evolving your IT methodology that will get you to a better result.

DevOps steps in transformation.PNG

The above slide is from the HPE simulation game introduction, which is based on the iconic book “The Phoenix Project”. Want to see the video of a real simulation game in action? See it in our previous DevOps blog article.

Want to learn more about how to accelerate this journey for your teams? Spend a few minutes looking at previous DevOps articles in this blog, and inquire with us at: www.hpe.com/ww/learndevops

About the Author

KellyBaig

25+ years in high tech in various roles that include Consulting, Channel Mgmt, Product Mgmt and Marketing. Technology areas include storage and data management, high availability, cloud and hosting, networking, and mobility/wearable technology for enterprise, SMB , and channel business. Industries include healthcare, financial services, ISVs, Service Providers and telecos.

Comments
devops training in hyderabad

Gained a lot of information after going through this post