Transforming IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why OpenStack Wins

TS_Guest

OpenStack.pngby Jeremy Brann, Alliance Technology Executive, HP Software

After 4 years of working in the cloud space, I’ve heard it all. I’ve seen the “big guys” in this industry adapt to the “new guys.” I’ve seen false starts and fumbles in terms of how vendors approach the market. I’ve seen CIOs and CFOs and engineers and security experts ride the hype-cycle wave. I’ve seen highly successful cloud transformations and a few that were botched. Cloud has delivered everything we expect from a disruptive technology, including spectacular results for firms that have applied it correctly to solve business problems.

We’re at a point today where our customers and partners evaluate cloud solutions based on their ability to deliver specific benefits. Typically that list includes some combination of scale, speed, simplicity, flexibility, efficiency, and reliability. Those are the outcomes that matter to today’s IT professional. Those are what enable her to become a proactive partner with the business, and deliver real results .

So what role does a cloud operating system play in all this? A big one.

Behind all the marketing hype, we know that IT clouds are not so nebulous at all. – There’s infrastructure involved somewhere, and that infrastructure has to be managed. Enterprise clouds are massive pools of compute, storage, and networking resources, working in harmony. OpenStack provides a robust foundation layer for managing those pools, with three spectacular features that no CIO can ignore: it’s free, it’s robust, and it’s flexible. So why then is adoption only moving at a snail’s pace? I think the answer is quite simple. – OpenStack is still seen as a “project,” and CIOs are much more comfortable buying a “product” that comes with a warranty and support ecosystem.

This is why I’m genuinely excited about our recent announcement around our Helion OpenStack distributions. The HP Helion OpenStack Community is pure OpenStack technology with no mix of proprietary or non-OpenStack tools, and is one of the first OpenStack distributions based on the Icehouse* release. It’s free to download under an open source license with optional paid support contract. We also announced an indemnification program not just for our own customers, but for their customers as well. With these commitments, we’re making OpenStack into a product that our customers and partners can use to build compelling cloud solutions, backed by the strength and integrity of HP. You can read more about these announcements here.

How serious are we about these commitments? We’re $1,000,000,000 serious.

I think we all suffer from billion fatigue these days because it’s a number that gets thrown around too often, so let’s take a moment to reflect on all nine of those zeros.. What’s your R&D budget? Think about your biggest customer for a moment. – What’s theirs? There are a lot of companies in this world who would love to be able to invest a billion dollars in R&D for any number of things. HP is fortunate enough to be able to say we’re investing a billion in our cloud portfolio over the next two years.

If you think Meg’s not going to track that investment, that it’s just an arbitrary number, you don’t know Ms. Whitman. We’re in the middle of a massive turnaround, and the significance of her committing to that kind of investment cannot be overstated. Billion dollar investments do not go unnoticed by shareholders, or competitors.

HP is making a bold statement that cloud is a major focus for us, and that OpenStack will remain at the heart of our cloud portfolio.

It’s a good time to be HP’s Cloud Guy in Kentucky.

* OpenStack Icehouse

OpenStack Icehouse, the ninth release of the open source software for building public, private, and hybrid clouds, has nearly 350 new features to support software development, managing data and application infrastructure at scale. The OpenStack community continues to attract the best developers and experts in their disciplines with 1,202 individuals employed by more than 120 organizations contributing to the Icehouse release.

SC_JB.jpg

Jeremy Brann is an Alliance Technology Executive with HP Software.  In this global role, Jeremy advises our top alliance partners regarding cloud and big data trends, as well as helping them develop commercial offerings based on HP’s industry-leading enterprise software portfolio. Jeremy is also a member of the HP Expert community, an HP Blogger, and a regular speaker at industry conferences on the topic of cloud computing.   

Jeremy joined HP in 2008 as part of the acquisition of EDS, and he has over 14 years of experience in the IT industry. He has worked in 3 different HP business units, providing advice to customers, partners, and account managers. His current focus is how Fortune 500 companies are transitioning to the new style of IT.  His previous roles include IT transformation consulting, systems integration, and IT outsourcing transitions. 

Jeremy has a B.S. in business administration from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, and an M.B.A. from the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana.  He lives in Lexington, Kentucky.

0 Kudos
About the Author

TS_Guest

Labels
Events
June 18 - 20
Las Vegas, NV
HPE Discover 2019 Las Vegas
Learn about all things Discover 2019 in  Las Vegas, Nevada, June 18-20, 2019
Read more
Read for dates
HPE at 2019 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2019.
Read more