TruCluster
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding 2 new members to a 2 member TruCluster.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert_109
Occasional Contributor

Adding 2 new members to a 2 member TruCluster.

Can you do the "clu_add_member" command before
actually connecting the new systems to the cluster?

This cluster has 2 ES40's with 2 KGPSA-CA each going
to 2 FC switches and 2 Dual HSG80 pairs.
It also has a Memory Channel II Hub with
2 of the 4 line cards connected. The 2 new members
will be ES45's with dual KGPSA-CAs and a MC II card each.
The Tru64 rev is V5.1. Not A or B, just 5.1.
I also found out the HSG80s are running
ACS V8.5S-0. Yeah, I know about the upgrade to ACS V8.6. It is under discussion. The systems
have been running for over 2 years with no problems.
I don't know if adding more systems is going to change this.
4 REPLIES
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Adding 2 new members to a 2 member TruCluster.

Yes, you can do "clu_add_member" command before actually connecting the new systems to the cluster.
"Clu_add_member" command makes boot partition for new member and prepares it for member's first boot (with genvmunix kernel).
Since you have MC for cluster interconnect, it will be easy to answer question about interface for cluster interconnect.
Do not forget to add "enable_access_path" for cluster LUNs before the first new member's boot.
But minimum OS version for ES45 is V5.1A, so OS upgrade is something you must do.
About ACS V8.5S-0:
My customer had TRU64 cluster V5.1A on MA8000 with same ACS. Had some problem with 36GB and 72 GB spare disks, but after patching ACS everything was OK.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

according to the clu_add_member man pages, this command creates the boot disk of a new member so I would say yes.

greetings,

Michael
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Yes you can, but take in account the quorum.

If you have a four member cluster without quorum disk, half+1 must be up to declare the cluster up.

Also, remember that you must boot later the new member with genvmunix.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Running clu_add_member now under V5.1 would create a bootdisk that does not support ES45 systems (not even genvmunix)
FIRST thing to do is upgrade to V5.1B + PK#5, that way you are back in a supported environment. At the same time you need to upgrade the KGPSA-CA firmware to 3.92A2

About the ACS version: with the ES45 you will certainly get 2GB fiberchannel interfaces not supported by ACS 8.5 . So do not stop at ACS 8.6 go for ACS 8.8-4(no room for discussion, higher troughput will trigger issues no seen till now)

NOTE: Alternate way ....
Install V5.1B + PK5 on an ES45, create a new cluster from there. Test your application in that environment. If OK, add the ES40's as members to the new cluster.

Rgds,
Johan.

_JB_