cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Quorum disk location

Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

Change Quorum disk location

Can someone refer me to a procedure I can use to move a quorum disk? Currently our quorum disk is on a standalone volume. I'd like to move it to a mirrored (via SAN) volume instead.

Thanks,

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
5 REPLIES
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Change Quorum disk location

Hi,

you find that in the cluster administration guide depending on your release starting here:
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/pub_page/doc_list.html

greetings,

Michael

Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Check out the manpage of 'clu_quorum'
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Note that the quorum disk should not contain any user data, so mirroring your quorum disk will not offer additional protection for your user data.

Mirroring the quorum disk will increase the availability of your system, but only by a very small number. Typically the quorum disk is most effective on 2 node clusters where it allows 1 node to continue (allowing for cluster availability) while the other node is down. Mirroring the quorum disk will allow one node to continue while the other node is down AND the quorum disk is unavailable.

On the other hand mirroring the quorum disk can almost be "done for free" on many modern storage arrays.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

some storage systems support disk partitioning so you could cut of a small portion of a larger disk and make the cluster believe it is on a separate disk.

Michael
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

clu_quorum command worked flawlessly. I was able to use an ema (array) mirrored pair, slice of 1GB for quorum disk, and use the remaining space for data.

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)