Did you mean: 

Cluster Alias Removal.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Keith Tyson_1
Occasional Contributor

Cluster Alias Removal.

Hello.

I have a two node Trucluster version 5.1 patch-kit 5. I would like to remove a cluster alias from this cluster. I use the command cluamgr -a alias=RemoveAlias,leave to do this. However, even with both members not servicing the alias, I can still ping/telnet to it.

If anyone has any ideas on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!!

Keith
6 REPLIES
Joris Denayer
Respected Contributor

Re: Cluster Alias Removal.

Hi Keith,

You can't currently delete a cluster alias without a reboot.
However, even if it responds to the "pings", it is not longer possible to connect to the alias as soon as your members "leave" the alias.
Of course, if you want to re-use the IP address of the "to-be-deleted" alias, there remains a problem.

As far as I can see, the functionality you wish, will be available in the next patchkits for v5.1a and v5.1b. I didn't check the release-schedules, but I guess it will be spring '04

If you have a support contract. You can also contact your HP support centre. Patch(ref: CFS.91860) will also do the job. But this will require a formal escalation.

Joris
To err is human, but to really faul things up requires a computer
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

The workaround is to lower the selection priority to 0 of the leaving member.

Btw. Version 5.1 is not supported any more, update to 5.1A or B.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Keith Tyson_1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Joris/Ralf.

Thanks for your help with this. Unfortunately, neither of these solutions work. I agree with Joris that when an alias has no memembers, it should not allow connections, but this is not the case?? With no memebers in the alias, and I make node1 leave again, all requests including telnet/ftp/etc are serviced by node 2, I make node2 leave, and all requests including telnet/ftp/etc are serviced by node1?? And so on!! :o((

Ralf, I tried your idea of setting the selection priority to zero, but cluamgr will not let me set it below 1.

I just need the cluster to not respond to the alias address??

Thanks for the advice about my version. I am planning an upgrade soon. Perhaps this will solve my issue??

Cheers!!!

Keith
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can't entirely delete all remnants of a cluster alias without a reboot in 5.1.
You can (in 5.1A/B) set rpri=0 for an alias to prevent that cluster node from routing for the alias via ARP or host routes, but
it would still respond to the address if a packet arrived (e.g. the address was
still in a client node's route tables or ARP cache).

The "leave" mechanism doesn't properly work in 5.1 so a reboot is the only chance to get rid of it.

Problem is fixed in 5.1A and 5.1B.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Joris Denayer
Respected Contributor

I agree with Ralph that you better go to v5.1B.
But the problem still exists in v5.1A and v5.1B.

If you want a solution now. There exist a patch, for which an escalation must be started in order to get it. See my previous reply.

Otherwise, you can wait until the next patchkit is released. However, this will not be this year.

Joris
To err is human, but to really faul things up requires a computer
mtoo.guo
Honored Contributor

The same problem still in 5.1A+PK4.