Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Disaster recovery solution

Disaster recovery solution

Dear experts.
we are having 2 node ASE clster with AS4100 & HSZ70 storage array & they are running tru64 4.0f OS &oracle 8.0.5
Now we are looking for DR solution for this.we are having one more alpha server & we wanted to install this at target site.we are having connectivity between this two sites.
could any body give some idea what are the ways to achive this?
8 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Disaster recovery solution

Hi,

what you have isn't very much uptodate, at least, what oracle is concerned. Could you give some more info about your production environment, is this a 7x24 application, how do you do backup today, how close on the timeline you want to have the dr site, how much recovery time you can afford etc..

thanks,

Michael

Trusted Contributor

Do you mean you want to get the same machine with the same configuration and put it on a different site with connection between them.
I am not sure that you can fine this configuration, it is so not up-to-date.

Mohamed
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I just wanted to know, how serious the application is, you want to increase availability. I wasn't talking about hardware yet. There is something like replication, but my knowledge starts with Oracle 8I, so I can't say from experience how well this works. Would it be possible to update the Oracle db to 9I? There are much more possibilities for data replication and it is supported. But please give me more background.

thanks,

Michael
Valued Contributor

Hi,
With ASE you will complicate matters more with a third node.

This will cause issues with the quorum disk first. i.e for a quorum to be formed you will have to have atleast 2 nodes to form a quorum.

Additionally, you will have to set up a mirror site to have a online copy of the ora data and logs.

What I mean is the third node will have to have access to the mirror, to startup in case the other nodes go down.

You will have to have ASE scripts that failover between the three nodes.

For true DR you will need a nother HSZ70 cab in the other location with the third node, and that storage will have to have the mirrors of the current storage.

hope this helps,

regards,
Orrin.
Respected Contributor

Hi,

You are mixing terms like DR (Disaster Recovery) and HA (High Availibility).

It is not completely correct, but Disaster Recovery means to be able to restart your business after a certain time on another place. The length of this time interval determines the price $$$$ of your Disaster Recovery solution.
With the HW/SW combination mentioned in .1, there are not a lot of things than you can do. except having good backups on tape that are stored in a safe place and the necessary tools to restart from this info on another system. This means that the recovery time can be rather long. Between some hours and many days. This depends of the size of your data.

If you want shorter recovery times, then you could go for a Data-replication solution between your different sites.
fi: Migrate to HSG80 with DRM or to EVA's with CA (Continuous Access)

Rgrds

Joris

To err is human, but to really faul things up requires a computer

Thanks lots for reply promptly & sorry for not providing deatil background.Here is the configuration detail & bit background.
3 Alpha servers ,1 HSZ70 storage.
2 Alpha servers formed 2 node cluster (ASE) useing tru64 4.0f & uses HSZ70 storage,
3 server is having enough internal storage which we wanted to install at remote site which is located 1 KM away from main site,there is fiber link between two sites.
we are useing oracle 8.0.5 on both the sites.
This is not long term solution since h/w & os is no more supported.But no budget to buy latest configuration so looking for solution for 2 years time frame.
Please suggest how we can do the replication either sync or async.

Regards

Could anybody advice me please.
Occasional Visitor

look at XOsoft's WANSyncHA for Oracle, it increases the availability of Oracle database servers using high availability replicas that enable automatic failover across different IP networks. http://www.xosoft.com
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event