TruCluster
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Increasing the size of a swap volume

Occasional Advisor

Increasing the size of a swap volume

In a Tru64 cluster I need to upgrade the mirrored cluster root disk to a larger disk size (36GB -> 72GB). Since ADVfs is being used I can create mirrored temp volumes for /, /usr, and /var on alternate disks; add those volumes to each of the respective file domains; remove the old volumes from the file domains and this will relocate each of the cluster-wide volumes on to temp disks. the problem is what to do about the LSM swap volumes.
The plan is to do this live with no down-time. After all volumes have been transfered to the alternate disks I can then remove the old disks, insert the 72GB disks, recreate the larger volumes, add to the filedomains and remove the smaller temp-volumes.
Is there a way to disable the swap space and have the OS use the temp swap space setup on the temp disks?
2 REPLIES
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Increasing the size of a swap volume

I am afraid you can't disable/stop paging from a running Tru64 system. Don't know if the gurus would have a magical solution though .. Following from the man pages of swapon command.
----
NOTES

There is no way to stop paging and swapping on a partition. It is therefore not possible to use swap devices that can be dismounted during system operation.

Swap space is also used during a system crash dump. In planning your swap space allocation you should also consider your crash dump requirements. See the System Administration for information on crash dumps.

----

If you can afford a reboot, configuring the swapdevice= parameter o the /etc/sysconfigtab's vm" stanza would help move the swap device to the temporary disk.

HTH,
Abdul.
No unix, no fun
Honored Contributor

Re: Increasing the size of a swap volume

Hi,

No you can't disable the swap in any OS, if did so then for every operation you do, system will throw errors(like swap space not allocated).
never give up
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event