TruCluster
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installation of Patch kit 6 in tru 64 cluster.

Advisor

Installation of Patch kit 6 in tru 64 cluster.

Hello All,

We have a tru 64 cluster(2 Node, 5.1A ) and we are facing some performance problem with network, so we decided to install patch kit 6 on the cluster.

Patches installed on the system came from following patch kits:
--------------------------------------------------------------

- T64V51AB03AS0003-20020827 OSF520
- T64V51AB03AS0003-20020827 TCR520
- T64V51AB21AS0004-20030206 OSF520
- T64V51AB21AS0004-20030206 TCR520

It belongs to patch kit 4.

1) What might be the worst case scenario for the patch updation to fail?
2) Can i install patch in one node? such that it does not affect the second node, so that i can continue proper working with one node even if the patch updation fails in another node.
3) I just want to install the patch. I dont understand, what is a rolling upgrade? or when it should be used. so can anyone suggest whether it is really needed, or i can install the patch normally using dupatch.
4) I dont want to update the OS or tru cluster software.

Can anyone, please help me with my doubts.

Kindly let me know, if any other information is required.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhaskaran

3 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Installation of Patch kit 6 in tru 64 cluster.

1) I seen failed patch installation that leaves the system innoperate. This because a bad practice during patch installation.

2) You can perform a rolling upgrade, but you cannot do a rollbackup. Rolling upgrade is used to avoid stop the cluster, it's a complex procedure. So, basically, once you install the patch on one node you install in both of them.

3) You can install the patch using dupatch, rolling upgrade is used to avoid stopping the cluster, so you can patch node by node.

4) You should.

Before patching the system, read carefully the patch installation guide available with the patch package.

You can also find more information in this forum about patching trucluster.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Advisor

Thank you very much Ivan.

Actually iam into the patch installation guide for last 2 days.but still have few (true/false).

1) using dupatch to install patch in one node, will automatically install in second node. But i can reverse to original(present) status, if the patch installation fails.

2)if i use rolling upgrade, i should do the procedure twice(1st node separately, and 2nd node separately), but it is reliable as the second node will take care of cluster operations, even if one node fails during patch installation.

3) using rolling upgrade will not guarantee my present original status.

4) One patch installation will install patches for both Tru64 unix and tru cluster.

basically confused between, whether to use steps in chapter4 or chapter 5 of the patch installation guide(just attached it for reference).
Can you please tell me , whether my above assumptions are okie?

Thanks & Regards,
Bhaskaran
Honored Contributor

1) using dupatch to install patch in one node, will automatically install in second node. But i can reverse to original(present) status, if the patch installation fails.

Yes. Using dupatch will install in all nodes, that is, after installing the patch on one node, all nodes will reboot and to apply the patch. Normally, patch installation never fails if you run the right procedures. One important is to run a baseline check before applying the patch. I never tried (needed) a patch deinstallation.

2)if i use rolling upgrade, i should do the procedure twice(1st node separately, and 2nd node separately), but it is reliable as the second node will take care of cluster operations, even if one node fails during patch installation.

I suggest you to not use rolling upgrade. It takes too much time and with increased complexity.

3) using rolling upgrade will not guarantee my present original status.

You will have the same results as if you use dupatch.

4) One patch installation will install patches for both Tru64 unix and tru cluster.

Yes.

basically confused between, whether to use steps in chapter4 or chapter 5 of the patch installation guide(just attached it for reference).
Can you please tell me , whether my above assumptions are okie?

Thanks & Regards,
Bhaskaran
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event