cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing TruCluster

Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

Installing TruCluster

Is it possible to install Tru64/Trucluster directly to shared storage, rather than first installing Tru64 on a standalone drive/LUN?

My situation: I have san storage carved out for cluster /, /usr, /var, etc.. I don't want to first install onto yet another partition, then run clu_create to build my first member. I'd rather build the first member directly, and then configure/boot other members into the cluster.

Has anyone done this? Documentation is not crystal clear as to whether this can work...

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
5 REPLIES
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing TruCluster

The supported way is via installation system as described within the manual.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi, Thomas

No, you can't install Tru64 Cluster directly to shared storage.

First you have to install Tru64 on stand alone drive/Lun, then run clu_create to built the members.
never give up
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Thomas,

how would the installation process run the cluster member create?
Also you won't have the advantage of easy rebuilding when one cluster member disk gets lost.

hth,

Michael
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

I believe that a few unrelated things are being mixed up here.

Yes, you can install Tru64 UNIX directly to shared storage. There is no need to zone the shared storage (either using SAN zoning or some form of selective storage presentation) to limit access to a single node in the cluster to be formed. Neither is it necessary to install to an internal disk on one of the systems.

When building a cluster it IS necessary to install the first node in the cluster as a normal Tru64 UNIX system and then to run clu_create to turn that system into the first node of the cluster to be formed. Note that clu_create is not re-installing Tru64 UNIX. It is merely changing the installation for use in a cluster. The clu_create command does need to target a different disk when it runs, which is why the initial Tru64 UNIX installation is typically done to the boot member disk of the 2nd node (which is then transferred to the real cluster disks by clu_create and later overwritten by the clu_add_member for the 2nd node).
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

it is well documented within the cluster install guide!
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }