Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legato server doesn't work on Tru64 5.1B cluster

Giordano Abreu
Occasional Visitor

Legato server doesn't work on Tru64 5.1B cluster

All,

We need a help, we have a Cluster here with a ES-40 and two DS-20. The O.S. is Tru64 5.1B with Patch Kit 4.

The ES-40 is connected via Fibre Channel to a Tape Library.
We installed Legato Networker. (Previous migration to 5.1B we had 4.0G and Networker was working). The version of Legato is 7.0.

When we try to start Legato, only the client remains up, the other modules start but a few second after they drop without any messages.

There is a bug with Legato Networker ?

Somebody had aready seem this ?

thanks.
6 REPLIES
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Legato server doesn't work on Tru64 5.1B cluster

Have you correctly followed the instruction from Legato for a TruCluster Server V5 system?

I haven't seen the instruction for 7.0 yet, but in previous versions the instruction were quite confusing. Lots of people run Legato Networker on TruCluster Server V5 clusters. It does work!
Stephen_126
Occasional Advisor

If you look at the /sbin/init.d/NSRstartstop script you will see it looks for file /usr/opt/networker/bin/NetWorker.clustersvr and that decides if it just runs as a client or starts the rest of the server processes. You can follow the clusterization instructions to do it properly or fudge the behavior by modifing this check and start routine.

It's easy to bypass this just to test if your server will come up...and then when confident, clusterize it by segregation via CDSL filetrees.

BTW: setup a client for each member and the main alias. Main alias config ALL filesystems...client _just_ each's boot_partition and ... #touch /usr/opt/networker/bin/pathownerignore

-Stephen
Giordano Abreu
Occasional Visitor

Stephen,

We'd tried this. But the problem remains.

I'm sending a debug. I think it would help in our analysis.

Note that when nsrd is being started we see some errors like:

"close(4095) Err#9 Bad file number"

Did you aready see this error ?

thks
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't expect the system call trace to help much, unless you know what the program is supposed to do. Specifically the close(4095) that you mention, is where it seems to close all unused file descriptors. I bit strange perhaps, but nothing to worry about.

It would help more if you could show the nsr logs and possibly the error messages that are printed when you start NetWorker manually.

If you insist on tracing something, then try to trace the NetWorker start up script (by running it with something like "-xv" for instance).
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Also... Legato has the habit of changing licensing policies on you without warning. If I remember well you need an "Entreprise"-type of license for running as a NetWorker server on a V5.x TruCluster. Be prepared for steep upgrade fees if your old license is not up to par.

Did you check for messages about licenses in /nsr/logs deamon.log and messages ?

Johan.

_JB_
Giordano Abreu
Occasional Visitor

We saw the /nsr/logs/deamon.log but there isn't any log from the last tries we are doing.

It seems that the Networker isn't writing the logs.

We will reinstall NSR and check about the license issue.

thanks.