Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Tru64 Cluster to EMC storage

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dusan Stefanovic
Frequent Advisor

Migrate Tru64 Cluster to EMC storage

I have 3 node Tru64 Cluster which is connected to EMA 12000 (also boot from that storage). Now our customer want to migrate cluster to EMC storage (to boot from that storage).
I try to migrate stand alone Tru64 system on new storage, and everything goes fine. I use vdump and vrestore command in one line (parallel).
Does any one have experience with cluster migration on new storage ?
5 REPLIES
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Migrate Tru64 Cluster to EMC storage

I will do a storage migration in a few months and I been searching for information about how to do that.

My current research is:

- When creating the disks in the new storage, use the same WWID that actually has. This could prevent device name changes.

- Boot from the local disk and create the cluster root, usr, var filesystem.

- Restore from the backup.

To restore the first member boot disk, you need to run clu_bdmgr, to run clu_bdmgr, you must be using a clusterized kernel, so I think that after you restored your backup, you should chroot to the backup root and run clu_bdmgr.

- Create the member root file system and retore the backup.

- To boot the first member, you need to override the quorum information.

boot â fl ia
vmunix clubase:cluster_adjust_expected_votes=0

- If the major/minor numbers for the root device has changed, you should specify that at boot time:

boot â fl ia
vmunix clubase:cluster_adjust_expected_votes=0 cfs:cluster_root_dev1_maj=19 cfs:cluster_root_dev1_min=227

- You may need to delete and re-create the quorum disk if used.

If you booted the first node, you can add the other nodes by using clu_bdmgr and vrestore.

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Hello Dusan
There are two ways to do the migration. First is to restore backup to new hardware, which is much more complicated (Ivan's way).
The second way is to migrate using advfs utilities.
You must have both storages conected to same SAN. Create and present LUNs (on EMC) to TRU64 cluster machines. Extent cluster_root, cluster_usr and cluster_var domains to new storage using "addvol" and "rmvol" command.
Example: your current cluster_root domain is on dsk3g, and new cluster_root domain should be on dsk10g. Do the following:
- add new disk to domain
# addvol /dev/disk/dsk10g cluster_root
- then remove old disk from domain
# rmvol /dev/disk/dsk3g cluster_root
This is the way you can migrate all domains except member's boot domains.
To migrate member's boot partitions use delete_member and add_member and set boot partitions to new storage.
If using quorum disk, you must also delete and recreate it on new storage.
This is very simple to do but must have license for advfs utilities.
Regards
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Dusan,

As Vladimir says, addvol/rmvol is the way to go for moving cluster_root, cluster_usr and cluster_var.
But doing clu_delete_member and then clu_add_member is somewhat of an overkill and it has the inconvenience that you will have to reconfigure the member from start: ie licenses, networking etc...

Instead you can use vdump and vrestore, while modifying some files and disklabel inbetween.
See attachement for an example.

For the quorum disk, just remove it "clu_quorum -d adjust o ; clu_quorum -d remove" while both members are up, and immediately re-add it on new storage "clu_quorum -d add dsk'new' 1".

Within HP, scripts exist to fully automate cluster cloning to new storage, but you will have to pay for the time of the expert that created them.

Regards,
Johan.

_JB_
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The only good thing about moving the cluster from a backup, that is what we will do, is that you can we can test a disaster recovery plan, that is, recover the cluster from a backup, instead of reinstalling and reconfiguring all again.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Dusan Stefanovic
Frequent Advisor

I make it !!!!!!
Thank's