balaji chandrasekar_1
Occasional Contributor

NFS freezes hangs after caa_start/caa_stop

We have been using the following configuration in our cluster environment

Two Es40's
Tru64 v5.1B patch kit 4
Trucluster v5.1B
Running TeMIP V5.

After caa_stop/caa_start finishes our NFS mounts freezes for few minutes. Its comes back after a while. We do have our user home directories on the NFS mount. The same application runs okay on a V4 cluster.

Has anybody seen the above symptoms.
Any clues?

Thanx
Balaji./
3 REPLIES
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: NFS freezes hangs after caa_start/caa_stop

What CAA-service are you stopping/starting ?
(or did you mean caa_relocate).

Is the cluster an NFS-client for those $HOME directories ? If yes, then use autofs for mounting those (instead of fstab).

__ Johan.

_JB_
balaji chandrasekar_1
Occasional Contributor

Johan

Thanx for the reply.
We have a TeMIP application running on these machines which is being restarted (combination of caa_stop and start). The caa_stop/caa_start requires "su - temip" and that temip user is on a NFS mount.

The caa_stop/caa_start succeeds, but the "df" command immediately after that hangs for 3-4 minutes.

I can use autofs but I am trying to see how it helps me?

Thanx
Balaji./
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Autofs helps you to overcome the issue that a static NFS client mount by a cluster member via fstab does not fail over to another member, if the member that mounted this NFS filesystem would fail and not come back within a reasonable short time. Any user of that filesystem on the cluster would then stall, waiting for the initial mounter to return into the cluster.

With autofs other members in the cluster will take over the NFS mount and serve it to the rest of the cluster.

__ Johan.

_JB_