TruCluster
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem: Boot Single user mode, continues into multi-user mode

Frequent Advisor

Problem: Boot Single user mode, continues into multi-user mode

I attempted to boot to single user mode on a trucluster member, it boots then goes past the SINGLE USER MODE statement and continues into multi-user mode.

Have a 2 node cluster running 5.1B PK4, want to take down member 1 to perform a quotacheck on the root1_domain which is showing strange disk free space (df -k) - more than is displayed when using du command.

Steps:
# shutdown -sh now
Get to the cheverons and type
>>> b -fl s
the system boots and goes beyond the SINGLE USER statement and into multi-user mode.

I am scratching my head on this one. I think I might have forgotten what to do here. But can never remember ever needing to take a cluster member down into single user mode.

Hope community can help or explain my shortcomings.
6 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem: Boot Single user mode, continues into multi-user mode

Can you shutdown member 1 and do quotacheck from member 2 without booting member 1?
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Honored Contributor

# init S ;works?
Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure going from multi-user mode to single-user mode without a CPU halt (like via 'init S') isn't or wasn't recommended by HP when you're in a cluster. For some reason they wanted a full shutdown before getting to single user mode. As to why your system is going past single user mode from the 'boot -fl s' command, that's VERY bizarre. Can you post the contents of your /etc/inittab file?
Frequent Advisor

Attached is my /etc/inittab content.

Honored Contributor

That inittab looks fine. Would it be possible to post a copy of the console output as the system is being booted into single user mode? Are you sure you're really executing everything in /sbin/rc2.d and /sbin/rc3.d after a 'boot -fl s'? If so, I'm stumped :-(
Frequent Advisor

Found a solution, it was down to the SECURE_CONSOLE variable which was set to YES.
Changed it to NO and now able to get into single user mode.

Phew!
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event