cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP and Oracle Installation

Tom Kempster
Occasional Advisor

SAP and Oracle Installation

I am installing SAP and Oracle (not RAC) on a 2 node TruCluster. There are files that are hostname dependant, cluster alias does not work, and I am having trouble getting my head around how to configure. When a node goes down I want to start SAP and Oracle on the second node but the files are set to the previous node's hostname. files are DEFAULT.PDF, tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, etc.
I am sure that I am not the first to come across this, can anyone give advise on how they got around this please?
4 REPLIES
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Re: SAP and Oracle Installation

What do you mean cluster alias does not work?
What cluster alias?
Do not have experience with SAP, but Oracle works fine.
You must create caa scripts to make it work.
See this link for example how to do it:
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/best_practices/BP_TCR_ORA_SS/TITLE.HTM
If you need more details, ask.
Regards
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Please contact support/sales.

This stuff has been done before, do not re-invent a wheel.

The HP/SAP engineering team has extensive solutions in place with CAA scripts and operational procedures and the likes.
(I'll poke Steve gschwindt and see if he is willing to reply here)

Regards,
Hein.

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Tom, Steve confirms that this is a classical SAP / Oracle / Tru64 cluster installation question, which his procedures solve. The service is available to customers as a project. You may want to reach out to Euan Mcmaster or Anne Mccarthy from HP / UK.

Steve spend a good amount of time to 'get this right', don't underestimate it, as you do not want to compromise your high availability target.

Regards,
Hein.
Tom Kempster
Occasional Advisor

As I suspected, many people have come across this before and I have found a solution.
The best practices document showed that there were 2 ways to go,

1) Using a cluster alias,
2) Using an IP alias.

Since 2) satisfied my requirements perfectly I eventually decided to go that route.

"You are running a single-instance service and one cluster member satisfies all client requests at any given time."

Still testing, so far it looks good.