TruCluster
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tru64/Cluster 5.1B-2: Using default Cluster Alias for Echo requests (ping)

Herr Ing. RUEHRNESSEL
Respected Contributor

Tru64/Cluster 5.1B-2: Using default Cluster Alias for Echo requests (ping)

How can i arrange that "ping" is using the Default Cluster alias as the originating address in a 2 node Tru64 Cluster?

I already specified "in_multi, out_alias" in /etc/clua_services and rebooted the cluster.
But "ping" is still using the "hostname" as the originating address.

Below you find an excpert from my /etc/clua_services. The settings work fine for "ftp" and "telnet" but not for "ping".

echo 7/tcp in_multi,out_alias
echo 7/udp in_multi,out_alias
ftp 21/tcp in_multi,out_alias
telnet 23/tcp in_multi,out_alias

Anybody any idea?

Regards
Manfred
3 REPLIES
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Tru64/Cluster 5.1B-2: Using default Cluster Alias for Echo requests (ping)

ping uses another mechanism (ICMP) instead of a specific port which could be specified by clua_services. ICMP ("ping") is not the same as TCP or UDP traffic.

Please have a look into good tcp/ip book for a closer view.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Herr Ing. RUEHRNESSEL
Respected Contributor

Many thanks for the immediate reply. I know that ping is different, since it is handled on the network layer completely. But I have a TruCluster, serving me the purpose of making many machines to appear to the outside as one server with one address and I expected the designers of TruCluster to cover this topic in a similar way like FTP and TELNET. What purpose for would i then need the "echo" - entry in the /etc/clua_services if it is not meant for the case of making "ping" to use the Default Cluser Alias?

Is there any other workaroud to knock down "ping" to use the Default Cluster Alias?

Regards
Manfred
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Portexplanation:

7 TCP UDP Echo
When enabled for debugging purposes, returns to the source any data received. RFC 862

ping can use different protocolls (icmp, tcp, or udp). Not all implementations uses tcp/udp, most of the implementations uses ICMP. Have a look into the man-page explaining that the Tru64 ping routines uses ICMP (it is the first line after "description").
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }