TruCluster
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

TruCluster and FC attached tape library

Honored Contributor

TruCluster and FC attached tape library

I have a two member Trucluster (V5.1B - PK 5) with a fibre attached MSL5026 tape library. All firmware current.

Zoning and NSR access tables are all good as shown by both servers' ability to manipulate cartridges in the library using mcutil.

When it comes to accessing the SDLT-II drives themselves though I'm having a problem. One server can access the drives just fine - I'm using the 'mt' utility for testing. Access from the second server fails with a request to put the device "ONLINE." If I shut down server 1 then server 2 is able to access the drives just fine. I'm thinking I'm missing a step using 'drdmgr' or some such utility. I tried using 'drdmgr -a SERVER= /dev/ntape/tape0*' without success. Any ideas?
5 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: TruCluster and FC attached tape library

What is the ouput of:

hwmgr show scsi -type tape -full

On both servers? Can you do a "tar" to the device? Can you attach a file with the results of:

Node 1

tar of something to a drive

Node 2

tar of something to the same drive

And the same after one node has been powered off.

And yes, you should relocate the DRD server before using the drive on the other node.

Cheers.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Honored Contributor

As of today (because of system resets yesterday) server 2 can see the drive and server 1 cannot, but the behavior is consistent with what I saw when things were flip-flopped. See output attached. The 'drdmgr' output looks correct. Note that whichever server is having a problem is logging 'reservation conflict' events in the binary error log. One of them is include in the output files.

The only thing that looks odd to me is that on server 1 the drives are on SCSI bus 2 and on server 2 they're on SCSI bus 3. Is that a problem?
Honored Contributor

Figured it out -

Needed to issue a 'scu release device' against the drives on the server that had previously had access.
Honored Contributor

See above
Honored Contributor

That should not be a problem, on my systems it shows different also. What is extrange is the reservation problem.

Have you tried clearing and creating a new map in the NSR? You should reboot the library after that. After that, delete all tape devices and create again using:

hwmgr scan scsi
dsfmgr -K
dsfmgr -Vv
hwmgr -show scsi -full
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event