cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT ASEMGR HELP REQUIRED !!!

Paul_564
Occasional Advisor

URGENT ASEMGR HELP REQUIRED !!!

Currently have the situation where i cant get "asemgr" started on any node?

Have rebooted both boxes but when i type in asemgr just get the dreaded dots ?

HELP !!!!!

aM i right in thinking there is a command you can use to overide the mirroring ???

pleaes help
9 REPLIES
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: URGENT ASEMGR HELP REQUIRED !!!

Hi Paul,

what mirroring?

greetings,

Michael
Paul_564
Occasional Advisor

hi michael sorry lol panic taking hold i need to bypass a mirrored pair of disks as I belive this is what is stopping asemgr from starting.

And im sure there is an option with asemgr that allows you to select to bypass a mirrored pair of disks.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Paul,

check messages and the log files in syslog.dated for error messages.

greetings,

Michael
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

Paul,

When we were running V1.6 of TruCluster we got those dreaded dots a couple of times. Support told us that when this happens asemgr can't communicate with asedirector.

In the 1st case it was too busy 'cleaning up' after a power loss. After waiting 15 minutes the asemgr menu did appear. How long have you waited?

The 2nd case one member thought asedirector wasn't running anywhere in the cluster even though it was running on the other member (this was a 2 member cluster). It kept trying to restart asedirector and kept failing. Solution was to 'kill -9' asedirector on the other member and then let the cluster software decide where to start asedirector.

Check your daemon.log for 'AseMgr Error: Director hasn't started up yet or local network is disconnected ...'
and 'AseMgr Warning: timeout waiting on Reply to ASE_INQ_SERVICES'

Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
Paul_564
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all the help guys managed to sort it out in the end by popping the defective disk ( even though it shouldnt of made a blind bit of difference)

The command i was looking for was an option that can be set in the rc.config file using rcmgr which is ASE_MIRRORED_PAIRING if this is set to on then the it accepts that the volume the mirrored pair is on can still run with one disk down, if set off then it detaches both disks and stops the volume in LSM.

Thanks for all the replies
Paul
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

I have some doubts about the above posting from Paul about the correctness of the parametername used. Never in my life as ASE-cluster support person I have seen ASE_MIRRORED_PAIRING used.

On the other hand I have recommended "ASE_PARTIAL_MIRRORING = ON" to customers in numerous emergency situations. To be on the safe side I checked the admin guide at http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/cluster_doc/cluster_16/V16_PDF/TCR_ADM.pdf
See paragraph 4.3.7.7

__ Johan.

_JB_
Paul Berry_2
Occasional Visitor

Johan

Well the person that recommended the PAIRING parameter was from HP, and the param was already set within our rc.config. That's what i love about unix, you can still learn something new no matter how long you been doing something

paul
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Paul Berry,

are you the author of the thread?
If so, could you please use the original user?

thanks,

Michael
Paul_564
Occasional Advisor

Thread closed