TruCluster
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Waiting for cluster boot disk to become registered

Occasional Advisor

Waiting for cluster boot disk to become registered

Hi,
i have two nodes(es40,ds25) alpha cluster with MSA1000.
System was working fine. one day we restart the cluster and DS25 didn't come up.
both fiber links were down. we replace one fiber HBA.system seesm disks. and now during boot of DS25 boot stops at following message "Waiting for cluster boot disk to become registered" and this message keeps on coming.
my os is 5.1b pk1 and i have oracle installed.
What can be done in this case ?
10 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Waiting for cluster boot disk to become registered

Did you change something on MSA1000 (like WWID, LUN etc)?
There can many things causing this problem.
Does booted node see boot disk of other member?
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Your problem seems to be zoning problem because you changed an HBA so may be SAN switch zoning is based on WWID rather on port. In sich case you will have to update your zoning.

VINCENT Jean-Marc
HP France
Groupe Support Unix
Tru64(tm) UNIX Technical Consultant - Tru64(tm) UNIX Ambassador HP France
+33 1 5762-8861
jean-marc.vincent@hp.com
Honored Contributor

Can you see the boot device at the ">>>" console prompt?

If not, your problem is likely zoning as noted in a prevoius post or it could be the Access Control List feature in the MSA1000.
Are you using Access Control Lists (ACL) on your MSA1000? Changing out the HBA could also cause the ACL to be incorrect and start denying access.

If you can see the DS25's boot disk at the ">>>" prompt, this is neither one of those things. Does the ES40 have the DS25's boot disk mounted? That will definitely cause a problem when the DS25 tries to boot.
Occasional Advisor

i'm not sure about ACL. i think i'm not using. please tell me how can i check.
other thing. i can see boot disks from console >>> on both nodes for both nodes
i do have reachability of wwid.
Occasional Advisor

disk is not mounted on other node.
I have tried even shutting down the other node and then booting this faulty node only.
it results the same message.
As i can see disks on console so i don't expect Zoneing problem.

Yes one thing. that both Fiber HBA were faulty. i have replaced only one(which ofcourse changed wwid). and now i'm accessing storage only through one link.
Honored Contributor

If you can see the devices at the ">>>" prompt it's not the ACL so there's no point in checking that. Have you tried removing the remaining faulty HBA from the DS25? I guess it's possible that having that device in place is causing some kind of problem, though it doesn't seem likely.
Esteemed Contributor

This message typically indicates a hardware problem. Since you replaced the HBA, it's possible that new HBA is not working correctly.

Or did you replace the HBA because of this error? If that's the case, it could be the PCI backplane.

I've also seen this error after the problem with the PCI backplane corrupted the boot member disk. This is what makes it really difficult to find the cause. But the engineer that wrote this code ensured me that the root cause is always bad hardware.

Honored Contributor

It may be PCI problem, but may not. It can also be a bug in FC switch firmware (I had such a problem), corrupted hardware database and so on.
Shahbaz, you did not answer can you mount DS25 boot disk on ES40.
Did you try to remove DS25 from cluster and add it to cluster again?
What kind of FC switch you have? Did you find some unussual event on the switch?
You said you replaced one FC HBA? How many paths to disks you see in wwidmgr now?
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Occasional Advisor

i can mount boot disk on other node.

i didn't take out other faulty hba. i'll try to take it out.

as i have one hba working so i have one path to disk.

sotrage conroller doesn't give me any event.
Esteemed Contributor

Note that mounting it on another system is not necessarily revealing everything. The problem is with the CNX partition which the other system doesn't access.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event