Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

application not starting following shutdown

tip
Occasional Advisor

application not starting following shutdown

Hi,
I am noticing that after shutting down the database application for backup, sometimes the application does not start automatically.

The strange thing is that when I do a caa_stat, the state field in empty (no offline/unknown).
Any ideas what this may mean?

Thanks
6 REPLIES
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: application not starting following shutdown

No, but I don't even know what "the database
application" might be, or how, exactly,
you're "shutting down the database
application for backup".
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

You may have to check the action scripts which is running while resource is coming up.

You may have to see various cluster as well as application logs, where its facing problem.

BR,
Kapil+

I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
tip
Occasional Advisor

When taking a backup, caa_stop is used to stop the database application (oracle) before taking clones. Done that, the database is started again using caa_start. At times (random) the database will not be started successfully. In the log file, the following message is noted:
Start of `db` on member `xxx` failed.
Could not start resource db.

When I check the database status using caa_stat, the state field in empty (no offline/unknown entry).

What I suggested now was to be informed immediately when this happens again so that I can check the syslog information, maybe there is more detail in why the script is failing.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tiziana
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

As Kapil allready said you need to check the details of scripts and logs.

It may be as simple as the timeout mentioned in de profile of the script.

If the timeout configured takes longer then the action executed (start/stop) then CAA thinks the script has not successfully executed and the state for CAA is not consistent with the actual state.

If the action script is still "running" after executing the action beacuse of an error in the script then the state in CAA is not consistent with the actual state.

As it's an Oracle database, check if it is the original action script.

Also check if the account involved has enough rights to use the caa_stat command.
tip
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the info. I will check the syslog log files when the next time it happens, as so far it the failure has not been repeated.

What log files should I check? syslog.dated? Any other log files?
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

first start sysman => monitoring/tuning => view events
select the cluster name and investigate events logged.

second
- check the /var/cluster/caa/log directory for any log files that may give information.
- check the profile of the cluster resouce
"cat /var/cluster/caa/profile/.cap"
- in this profile look for "ACTION_SCRIPT=<scriptname>"
- investigate "/var/cluster/caa/script/<scriptname>" for location of other logfiles