cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clu_upgrade -f roll fails: can't start X server

Daniel Kidger
Occasional Contributor

clu_upgrade -f roll fails: can't start X server

I have a major problem upgrading a two node trucluster from 5.1A to 5.1B.
I have been following the docs to the letter
The first node upgraded fine, but the second node failed at the
# clu_upgrade -f roll
stage.
The problem is that it fails trying to start X.
the script then fails several times to contact :0.0 then hangs.

This may well be due to the fact that the upgrade of member1 said it was going to uninstall the PowerStation setld kits.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get out of this hole ?

e.g
1. How do I skip starting X altogther during clu_upgrade since all X is giving me is a glorified progress bar
or.
2. How do I fix X so that it will start when invoke - perhaps in raw 640x480x16 colour mode ?
8 REPLIES
Srinath_3
Occasional Advisor

Re: clu_upgrade -f roll fails: can't start X server

Hi Daniel,

Just try clu_upgrade roll command i.e without the -f option. See if it gives the same error.

When used without the -f option, clu_upgrade
would prompt you for reboot and you give yes.

Let me know if it helps. Meanwhile i would look y the above X server problem comes when used with -f option.

Regards,
Srinath
Daniel Kidger
Occasional Contributor

I know that -f will make it do the reboot without prompting, but I don't think ommiting it will make any difference to the graphics.
Any will try when I get onsite.
I also tried '-q' hoping it woudl skip the graphics but this only seems to skip the text output to the console.
Balasubramanian S
Frequent Advisor

Hello, you can stop the xserver and do the clu_upgrade. Here are the simple steps,

# /sbin/init.d/xlogin stop
# clu_upgrade -f roll
# /sbin/init.d/xlogin start

Trust this helps,
Bala S
Daniel Kidger
Occasional Contributor

Ok will try that too. However since I dropped this member to single user mode - and am logged into to the text console on the vga, I don't think xlogin is running. clu_upgarde seems to start X itself - I even tried moving /sbin/init.d/xlogin out of the way to try and stop it starting.
Will let you know how it goes.
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

/usr/sbin/clu_upgrade is just a shell script. So, if you know for *sure* that skipping 'X' would not cause a problem, I guess you could tweak the script accordingly.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Hello Daniel
First, can you login to X console normaly?
If not, you may have hardware problem with graphics card. Other can be kernel problem which I do not think it is the problem.
You said renaming the rc script did not help. Strange.
You can prevent X from starting by temporary revoving graphics card from server (or try to set console to serial).
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Srinath_3
Occasional Advisor

I feel the problem should be the graphics card or the display settings.

You are updating the OS from V51a to v51b and you use installupdate for that. This requires the X server coz its a graphical installation.

So basicaly when you run clu_upgrade roll command it would start installupdate ( similar to what was done during the install stage of clu_upgrade on lead member ).

Did you have the same problem when running install update during the install stage of clu_upgrade?

Also we roll in single user mode but install stage ( of clu_upgrade ) is run in multi user mode.

Is there any catch here? I am not sure though.

Regards,
srinath

Daniel Kidger
Occasional Contributor

Note that we solved the problem in the end by shutting down the node, setting its console to serial and trying agin. This meant that it did not try to start X.

Other approaches, such as xlogin stop, moving /sbin/init.d/xlogin aside and similar did not work.

Eventually got a reply from engineering saying there is a known problem with our graphics cards (powerstorm 300), and we should swap them for a different type, restore from backups and redo the upgrade. By the time we got this reply, we had worked around the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.