Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to build root2_domain cluster boot disk

SOLVED
Go to solution

how to build root2_domain cluster boot disk

Dear Friends,

We are facing problem in Compaq Tru64 unix 5.1b.
Hardware: ES40,MSA1000 storage device
It contains two cluster boot disk root1_domain,root2_domain.both are in RAID 0.root2_domain disk failed.
We replace this disk with new one.Now we have to create same root2_domain cluster boot disk,unfortunately we don't have any backup for that.We are booting system by root1_domain disk.
Kindly help us to solve the problem

Waiting for your kind response.
9 REPLIES
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Re: how to build root2_domain cluster boot disk

Boot member#1 from it's normal root1_domain.

Save files:
cd /cluster/members/member2/etc
cp rc.config ntp.conf snmpd.conf inet.local to a safe place (not /tmp)
cd /cluster/members/member2/adm/lmf
cp ldb to safe place.

Now:
clu_delete_member -m 2

cd /cluster/admin
edit the file .member2.cfg
replace the old boot dskx value in there with the new one.

clu_add_member -c /cluster/admin/.member2.cfg

No questions will be asked, the add_member procedure will use the same answers as at the initial create (except for the new dsk)

Put saved files back into place.
Edit /cluster/members/member2/boot_partition/etc/sysconfigtab if you had parameters changes in there for eg Oracle.

Boot member#2 from his new root2_domain.

Regards,

___ Johan.

_JB_

We replaced the Disk with new one,While booting SAN MSA 1000 ,It detects HDD as dsk19c.
What are the changes make in .member2.cfg file for that initially it is for dsk2.
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Just 'vi' the .member2.cfg file (it a simple "attribute=value" kind of file) and change the old disk entry appropriately. No need to do anything else.
pvp
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Dear All ,

Can we use the configuration file of Member 1 i.e. member1.cfg
please confirm
regards
Prasad
Shardha
Valued Contributor

Hi,

You can y use configuration file but you need to modify as per configuration of the node 2 (which is the new node). Be care full.

Shardha.

We have two nodes which is exactly same ES40:Tru64 Unix 51B,We add the second boot disk to MSA 1000.
Clu_add command add in cluster.
Now we want to make it bootable ,How can we boot form that newly build disk? Can we directly copy the contains of member 1 disk ? Tell me the files names to copy for make it Bootable
Shardha
Valued Contributor

hi,

You question is not clear to me, let me ask some questions. Did you add second node? when you add second node it automatically initialize the second bood disk and make is bood able.
Or if you are replacing a boot disk for a particular member, save the .cfg file, backup the boot partition. remove the member and add the member using .cfg file. then mount this boot disk from the first node and restore the from the backup.
if you need the complete procedure step by step, i can sent it to you.

Shardha.

We replace the faulty member boot disk with new one in MSA 1000,then through console we add this disk with member 1 disk with RAID 0.

Then we give command clu_add dsk19c ,it is in now cluster with member boot disk 1.

Now ,member boot disk 1 is only bootable & newly added disk is not bootable.
How to make it bootable ?
Regards
Aatish

thanks