TruCluster
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

init one node of a cluster from the other

Occasional Advisor

init one node of a cluster from the other

hi all,

i m dealing with a two ES40, V 5.1 PK6, cluster system. i need to init one of the nodes to level 3 from single user level. but this should be done from the other node. i d appreciate if someone could tell if it is possible or not and how.

18 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: init one node of a cluster from the other

Can't you do it thru rsh?
Peace, R.
Occasional Advisor

hi again

i dont believe its gonna work since no network is avaible in the single user mode. but i ll try it to see if it works tru the inter connect (i dont hope much because rsh uses tcp and i dont know if any tcp service is up tru the interconnect channel when in single user mode)

thanks...
Esteemed Contributor

Ahmet,
Can you try doing this using SYSMAN? Give it a try and let us know.

regards
Mobeen
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I don't think it's possible.

The reasons being, the second member won't join the cluster in single user mode, and the cluster does not know anything about the second member.

Maybe if you give us the reason you want to do this we could suggest some alternatives..

Regards,
Orrin.
Occasional Advisor

Orrin s right. cluster is disabled rigth before initializing the single mode. so rsh should not work, actually it doesnt (have tried.even throug the interconnect ips). also sysman cant see its second member.
the reason is that, i m having my backups (full file system) through a SDLT320 in single mode. the SDLT is on one of the nodes and i can have all the mount points from that one. after the backup, i can reinit to level 3 on the node that the script is running but cant init the other node to level 3 remotely. it aproximatly lasts 4 hours to have the full backup and should start after midnight. so i need to start the system before the early morning and i need to find a way to reinit to level 3 or else i m gonna stay through all the night :))
Honored Contributor

Hi,

why do you need to have the backup in single user mode?

greetings,

Michael
Trusted Contributor

Can you use a 'quasi-single' init mode?
I mean something like
init 2 which takes machine in single mode and set up basic network (tcp/ip).
Then you will be able to rsh remotely.

Else you can do it via cron (but you need anyway to set that service up via a script), so I don't suggesto you to use single mode but to customize another 'free' runlevel.

comments in /etc/inittab should suggests you more

Peace, R.
Occasional Advisor

RE: Michael
i m trying to have the backup in single mode to be sure there is no change in the system. i dont know if its such important but this is the suggestion of the local hp consultant.

RE: Roberto
i ll search for a different run level. it seems to be 0/s0 (ahut down) m (single user) 2/s2 (multi user local processes) 3/s3 (multi user remote processes) levels exist. i use "m" but ll try find something to modify 2/s2 to contain least processes needed.
Honored Contributor

why not removing the member and add it again?
It is faster than playing with a backup....
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Occasional Advisor

sorry but could not understand what you mean by playing with the backup and how the remove/add a member procedure will help me about having a backup?
Honored Contributor

if you try to create a backup of the member disk then it is easier to remove/add the member again if there is a problem with them instead of restoring a backup.

If your itension is to backup other data (non member specific) then the suggested way is not the right choice but leads to the question why not using the tape by another member - all devices must be visible on the whole cluster....
Honored Contributor

I would suggest taking a ADVFS-snapshot (clonefset) and then make the backup from this snapshot.
In above solution, actually bringing one node down during the backup, you dont' use the cluster to it's potential.

Pieter
Occasional Advisor

i cant use cloning cause i have no time to first clone and then write to SDLT. also the data is too large.

OK i understand to remove/add the member with problem but what if the sharing area is damaged or something like that. i can solve this backup procedure by making it alittle bit complex, like clonig a part, backing up online another part, shutting down the instance and backing up that part anso on... i wonder if there is a solution to make it easier and whole.

anyway i guess i ll need to backup my system partially...
thaks to all
Honored Contributor

Ahmet,

to create a clone fset does not mean to duplicate all data. It does freeze the data in the clone fset so you get a snapshot from one moment. This should not take more than a few seconds. The amount of space needed depends on the changes that occur during the existence of the fset in your case as long as it takes to backup the data.

see man clonefset

hth,

Michael
Honored Contributor

Maybe it is time to consult the documentation:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARHGYETE/TITLE.HTM

Chapter 9.8: Backup and Restore (Clusteradmin)

It is also available on your documentation cd.

One of the systems is in Single User Mode and you want to change to Level 3?

Sorry for the last message...On the main page there counter for replyes shows zero (0).

But, you can make some changes on the startup scripts to start all the network at the Sinlgle User Mode and access this node from the other node.

This can help you?
Occasional Advisor

thank you everybody, you all helped much.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event