monitoring the LAN interconnect health

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Advisor

monitoring the LAN interconnect health

Hello ,

Is it possible to monitor /test the health of
or check the reliability of a DEGPA-SA adapter
on an ES80 ,which is being used as a LAN interconnect?

Clisnt reports intermittent loss of heartbeat
but clains that everythin is OK with the LAN switch ,and switch logs do not show errors/outage.
Need to eliminate the DEGPA-SA ( GB ethernet with fiber connedtor) as a sorce of failure .

regards

Dominic
5 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: monitoring the LAN interconnect health

Domi,

"netstat" is the command to use. Start with "netstat -iad" or "netstat -I alt0 -s", and look for Ierrs, Oerrs, Collisions and Drops behind the "altx" interfaces.

In a cluster the niffd and aliasd_niff are monitoring the interfaces health.

On a stand-alone system use the niffconfig command to include interface into the monitoring by the NIFF daemon.
These daemons pass their events to the EVM subsystem, and you can view these events via sysman or via evmget/evmshow or evmwatch.

Rgds,
__ Johan __

_JB_
Honored Contributor

The DEGPA-SA is not listed within the supported option list for ES80. Please have a look into it prior to install a hardware!

So your system is totally unsupported and sideeffects may occure.

Replace the adapter by one of the supported Gigabit Adapters DEGXA-*
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Advisor

Hi , Thanks for the replies

Johan : thank you very much , it makes sense

Ralf : We have been using DEGPA-SA on this
server for the last one year .
That ES80 is not listed on the list of tested platforms ,does not mean that ES80 does
not run with this adapter.
It just means that HP is not serious about testing older cards on newer Machines and thats
a pity .
However thanks for the suggestion on using
DEGXA-TA , however though it is supported on ES80 , i need to confirm if it works without complications (NHD et al ) on the GS60 E.

thanks & regards

Dominic
Honored Contributor

No it means in case of a problem you are on your own because engineering will not support your system.

In case of a production system this is very dangerous.

If a controller is not on the supported option list it will mean the controller have not passed the testings. It means not it will not work - but it is unsupported so not supported by us.

Btw. a "monitoring" of the adapter is done by the event monitor and the niff system. So a netstat etc. is not required due to the permanent polling of niff (depending on active or passiv setting). So check the events for problems over a period of time.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Advisor

Hi All ,

Well i think thats quite enough info for
me to work on .

Thanks Johan and Ralf

regards

Dominic
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event