TruCluster
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move cluster 4.0f from ra3000 on eva3000?

Marco Paccapeli
Frequent Advisor

move cluster 4.0f from ra3000 on eva3000?

Hi,

i want to upgrade my tru64 4.0 cluster ( es40 x 2 + 1 ra3000 ) to eva3000 or above.
Can I do that?
what I must check?
It's better upgrade tru64 to 5.1 too?

thanks, marco
5 REPLIES
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: move cluster 4.0f from ra3000 on eva3000?

If you can upgrade to TruCluster Server V5.1B, then I would certainly consider that. It's much better than V4 clustering. The EVA3000 is FibreChannel based. Support for FibreChannel in V4 is very limited.

The V4 cluster license is different from the V5 one. If you have a RTV (right to new versions) contract that should not be a problem, otherwise you need a different license. When V5 came out there were upgrade licenses, but I'm not sure if those still exist.

You also need to configure a cluster interconnect. This can be either Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet or Memory Channel.

Both LSM and AdvFS have new on-disk formats on V5, but can read the old format. Typically in V5 you do not need LSM, i.e. certainly not for mirroring and with the EVA's not for striping (for performance) either.
Marco Paccapeli
Frequent Advisor

thanks,

first step to make is move my cluster 4.0 on EVA3000 from RA3000, so i have many trouble to take this step because:
1) cluster 4.0 works on EVA3000?
2) what can i do to check this upgrade?

thanks, marco
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Marco,

I would try to do it the other way round. As I mentioned, doing FibreChannel on V4 is not very nice. In clusters on V4 it's terrible.

I'll see if I can dig up one of our old V4->V5 presentations and add that here. If not, feel free to send e-mail on first.last@hp.com.
Marco Paccapeli
Frequent Advisor

so, you think is better move everything on v5 for FC trouble reason?

Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Aboslutely. V5 is much easier to manage, especially in a FibreChannel environment.

Although the "hwmgr" command does frighten people in that just moved to V5, but once you get used to it you will learn to appreciate it. ;-)