cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

must I have memorychannel ?

xxl_1
Frequent Advisor

must I have memorychannel ?

must I have memorychannel installing a tru64 cluster ( including ase1.6、truclster5.0)?
6 REPLIES
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: must I have memorychannel ?

For TruCluster Server (V5) you must have a dedicated cluster interconnect. This is typically Memory Channel, but starting with V5.1A it can also be fast Ethernet or Gigabit Ethernet.

For Tru64 UNIX V4.X:
TruCluster Available Server (ASE) does NOT need Memory Channel. TruCluster Production Server (ASE for Oracle RAC) must have Memory Channel.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Hello
First, why should you install old (ase) cluster and old OS?
TRUCluster is much better solution, and use 5.1B.
If talking about 5.1B cluster, I would prefer gigabit ethernet as cluster interconnect because it is cheaper, more practical, and redundant cluster interconnect (two gigabit ethernet cards in netrain configuration) is much, much cheaper.
Regards
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You can use Ethernet for you cluster interconnect since 5.1A. But these is recommended only for "failover" style clusters. If you will use Oracle RAC is better if you use memory channel. I had a lot problems using lan interconnect, autonegotiation, arp, spanning tree, node startup and others, even configured as described on the white paper. My recomendation is not to use Lan Interconnect (based on my bad experiences).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?

You don't mention what you're going to use this cluster for or what the host hardware models/configuration and O/S version will be, but the short answer is "No" as long as you're going to use a modern version of TRU64. You don't have to use memory channel as the interconnect but if you have the means, I would give that option strong consideration.

MC is much faster, and easier to administer IMHO. It's also much more expensive but if you're ever going to expand this cluster beyond two members or use it as an "active/active" or loadbalanced cluster, then there's really no choice; you should go with memory channel.

If this is just a failover cluster intended to provide fault tolerance and you don't plan to rely heavily on I/O distribution (via CFS or whatever) then you can certainly get acceptable performance from a LAN interconnect but don't go beyond two nodes. I'd use gigabit Ethernet and configure two NICs per host into a NetRAIN set. NICs are cheap enough nowadays so don't mess around with offbrand adapters that have questionable driver support in the O/S; buy some quality NICs (you don't have to get them from HP; I've had good luck with a couple different Intel models among others).

Hope this helps

Jack
Jörg Honegger
Regular Visitor

Hello
There is also a white paper "Cluster Interconnect Analysis and Comparison" available at http://h30097.www3.hp.com/pdf/cluster_interconnect_wp.pdf
Regards
Jörg
Don Ritchey
Frequent Advisor

Our exeperience with Cluster Interconnect is that for failover clustering (only one node active at a time), the LAN interconnect is adequate for most purposes. For Oracle RAC, the performance is catastrophic, as the LAN cannot keep up with the demand using UDP as the transport mechanism between RAC instances. The timeout penalty for a missed UDP packet is a performance killer. RAC demands too much synchronization activity between cluster members for the LAN interconnect to be viable. For RAC or similar applications, Memory Channel is essential.

It all depends on your needs. Make sure that you understand the requirements of your application before you settle on the hardware to support it. And in clustering, it IS the details that are important.