Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

os does not see many hsz50 disks anymore

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

os does not see many hsz50 disks anymore

Hi all,

after a routine operation of exchanging the cache battery on a dual redundant hsz50 configuration most hsz50 disk can not be seen by the tru64 5.1A pk6 anymore.
The problem arose when the hp technician executed a failover command. It failed and somehow neither controller had full access to the disks. Now on the controller level seems to be all ok but on the console level of the machine when used show dev there are x instead of hsz50. We don't have ideas more.

We need help!

Thanks,

Michael
10 REPLIES
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Re: os does not see many hsz50 disks anymore

You will probably get more response in the storage forum, but if somehow data in the cache
was lost (unflushed) while the battery was removed, the HSZ50 protects the innocent from using stale data by shutting it'self off from the SCSI bus. However I do not remember the exact command on the HSZ50 to override that.
something like:
CLEAR_ERRORS THIS INVALID CACHE

If for any reason the HSZ50 changed it's serial number, then all it's unit WWIDs will change, resulting in new disknames for Tru64 V5.xx
"dsfmgr -e" is the command the use then.

__ Johan.

_JB_
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Johan,

thanks for answering. The technician used shutdown and stopped the battery with the button. This invalid cache should show up in some show, right? Why does show dev on srm console show x as controller description?

Michael
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Maybe posting >>>show device
and
HSZ>show this full
HSZ>show other full
HSZ>show Dxyz

would help to pinpoint the issue.

__ Johan.

_JB_
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Johan,

attached the info and more.

thanks,

Michael
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

After exchanging a couple of controllers we found one that worked. Hoever the boot process hangs with
waiting for cluster member boot disk to become registered
Booting from installation disk works and os sees disks.

Is there any chance to correct this?

thanks,

Michael
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

The most worrying thing I see in the log is:
"Unflushed data in cache". This could be a timing fluke, or it is really waiting for a disk to show up to write to.

And are there not supposed to be some 18 more diks: DISKx20, DISKx40, DISKx50 as members of 8 mirror sets M4, M5, ... M12 ?

fwiw,

Hein.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hein,

you can name mirrorsets as you like so there is no gap between m4 and m13.
My question is: Can I recover from this wating for disk to be registered without a reinstallation?

Ralf, could you please comment?

thanks,

Michael
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> you can name mirrorsets as you like so there is no gap between m4 and m13.

of course you can, there is just a strong suggestion that there once were more disks.

>> My question is: Can I recover from this wating for disk to be registered without a reinstallation?

There is this 'clear... destroy...' sequence mentioned earlier.
I do not 'see' which disk the unflushed data it would have to go from your listings. So that made me wonder whethet you really have 18 physical drives, or some more which are not visible (yet). run config?

2c

Hein.

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hein,

there were indeed more disks before. We had 18 9.1gb disks and replaced them by 12 36.4gb disks.
At the moement add units are clear. No invalid cache lost data or anything else.
How does the registering of the boot disk work? At the moment I have booted from the installation disk and restore the cluster file sets.

thanks,

Michael
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

thanks everybody for their help.
We recreated the cluster.
It has however been a bit much work for a simple cache battery replacement.

Michael