TruCluster
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

returning ENODEV errors in a TruCluster

Esteemed Contributor

returning ENODEV errors in a TruCluster

Greetings,

We have a 5 node TruCluster running V5.1B PK5. Recently we've seen this error in /var/adm/messages on 4 of the 5 nodes:

vmunix: drd_ics_open: 306 server 0xf2f76000 drds_devt 0xffffffff returning ENODEV

Haven't seen it cause any problems but was wondering if this is something to worry about? I haven't been able to find any information about it.

Thanks,
Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
3 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: returning ENODEV errors in a TruCluster

Hi Vic,

I've never seen that message before, but I'll take a guess it might be something to do with a quorum disk...

drd -> Device Request Dispatcher
ics -> Internode Communication System

Does the output of:

# clu_check_config

throw up any issues ?

The 306 might point to a hardware ID, as seen in

# hwmgr view device

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Honored Contributor

From error what I can make out is
E => error
NODEV => no device

So as suggested by ROB ,please check in hwmgr view device -cluster and check if all hardware is OK.
If you r cluster is showing anything wrong with hardware.Rasie a hardware call.
BR,
Kapil
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Frequent Advisor

If this is occuring during bootup, its unusual but probably ok. If at other times, wierdness.

vmunix: drd_ics_open: 306 server 0xf2f76000 drds_devt 0xffffffff returning ENODEV

306 => hwid
0xf2f76000 => internal server structure
0xffffffff => -1, devt, i.e. no device

So, the device is registered in the hwmgr database but doesn't have a devt...

During some bootups its possible the device is registered but probing hasn't completed yet. Possibly parallel probing or tapes earlier in the probing sequence slow things down so this can happen, but it will self-correct if its still booting up as probing completes.

At other times it shouldn't happen. Check the device associated with hwid 306. Is it having access issues? Was it partially deleted (i.e. deleted from the scsi database but not the hwmgr or dsfmgr but not hwmgr).
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event