TruCluster
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

syncronizing of the HDD numbers in the shared storage for new member in cluster

Frequent Advisor

syncronizing of the HDD numbers in the shared storage for new member in cluster

hi all
i have three cluster members version 1.6 on tru64 version 4.0f, and i want to add new member but i had the shared disks on the old systems rz*16,17
but in the new one they are rz*17,18 so how cold i syncronize
Mahdi
4 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: syncronizing of the HDD numbers in the shared storage for new member in cluster

Hmmm, 4.0f and ASE 1.6 is sooo long ago.

Any chance to get to to Tru 5.1b?

In version 5.0 and higher you don't talk about rzxxx anymore but dskNN. In 5.0 and better there is a persistent and flexible assignment between dskNN and the rzXXXX device files that the system uses. You can pick and choose dskNN names using dsfmgr.

Now best I recall in 4.0 the device naming is BY BUS. Device numbers would not change by 1 as you suggest but by 8. So are you sure that rz16 on one system is really rz17 on the other? confirm with a dump (dd | od, or dd | strings ) of the first blocks?

The trick back then was to get the busses to be numberred the same through either physical configuration planning plus auto-detect, or forced using ase_fix_config ?!

# /var/ase/sbin/ase_fix_config -c config-file
config-file is the name of the system's configuration file, which is stored in the /sys/conf directory.

Some of this is described in:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/cluster_doc/cluster_16/TCR_HWCFG/TITLE.HTM

Hope this helps,
Hein.
Honored Contributor

Re: syncronizing of the HDD numbers in the shared storage for new member in cluster

On the 2 existing members rz16 and 17 are on bus 2, with target 0 and 1, and the new member sees 2 disks on the same bus but with target 1 and 2.

Is bus 2 on the new member really the shared bus ?
Can you please post the results of "scu show edt", both from an old member and the new member ?

rgds,
__Johan__

_JB_
Honored Contributor

# clu_ivp -v

for each member. Which lists all shared buses.

PS: please post your question to the right section next time!
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Frequent Advisor

Hi all
the problem was solved in the following way
1- I could change the scasi bus ID to 2 from the configuration file through the process of rebuilding of the kernel to have it applicable to the following equation
unit_number =8*bus_number + target_id so I get 16 and 17 but I still has the problem of the target number which couldn't be changed since it is raid parameter
2- there was two configuration files emx.conf and emx.info which I get from the old systems and replace them in the new system. reboot and they become 16,17

so thx all
Mahdi
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event