Did you mean: 

upgrade to new EVA4100 with Tru64 cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
Waelkhalil_1
Frequent Advisor

upgrade to new EVA4100 with Tru64 cluster

Hi all
we Have 2 servers with Tru64 UNIX V5.1A clustered and have memory channel and connected to an old storage RA3000 we want to upgrade the storage to a new HP EVA4100 storage (with oracle 9i installed), and also upgrade the memory and CPU's of the servers,we will use 4 CPU's instead of 2 CPU's used ,also we will add HBA's to connect to the SAN of the storage...
i want to know what is the best way to follow , a fresh installation with the new storage ...or a storage migration....from the old storage to the new storage...
14 REPLIES
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: upgrade to new EVA4100 with Tru64 cluster

Hi,

Can you provide a bit more detail about the current and proposed environment please...

What hardware are the current Tru64 boxes ?

Assuming that you have an AdvFS Utilities license, I would probably go down the storage migration line... Once you've got the changes to the hardware in place, you'll be able to migrate data to the EVA without any downtime, using addvol and rmvol.

I've done this in the past to move data from an HSG80 based system to an EVA and nobody noticed.

That said, you should check the support matrices for 5.1A and the EVA4100. You should probably be looking to upgrade to 5.1B if at all possible.

Cheers,

Rob
Waelkhalil_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Rob for your reply

we have 2 x ES45 Model 2 ALPHATITAN ,
each have 2 CPU's 1000 Mhz each , 4 GRam for each Machine .. the 2 machines are clustered using
CLU_VERSION: TruCluster Server V5.1A (Rev. 1312)

and having Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (Rev. 1885)

and the proposed environment is to upgrade the ES45 servers to 4 CPU's each 1250 Mhz and the Memory to 32 GB and add HBA's to connect to the New EVA4100 storage...

i have a sys_check cmd report for the both ES45 servers..if you want me to send it to you...

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The SAN Design Reference Guide that can be found here,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00403562/c00403562.pdf

will tell you, that you will have to upgrade to Tru64 V5.1B. See the table on page 197. The EVA4100 is not supported on 5.1A.

Depending on you level of expertise, you might want to think about installing a new 5.1B cluster onto the new EVA, and then migrate the existing data.

The sys_check might be useful to see assuming its not too large to attach here...

Cheers,

Rob
Waelkhalil_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Rob for your continuous help ....

is there is any document how to make cluster on tru64 5.1B ?...

I have tru64 5.1B update 1 (oct. 2002) ,where i can find update 3 or 4 , as the EVA4100 needs update 3 or 4....

for the sys_check i can send it on your e-mail,because it will be more than 1MB...

Again thanks for help...

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you don't know how to install a new cluster, then you might be better to upgrade the existing one.

Read and understand this document, chapter 7 in particular.

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARHGXETE/TITLE.HTM

Update 3 and Update 4 as you call them refer to the latest patchkits.

5.1B-3 = Patch Kit 5
5.1B-4 = Patch Kit 6

These patch kits are available here:

http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/tru64AggrIndexPage.do?BC=main|

where due to even better mangling by HP are named as so:

Patch Kit 5 = T64V51BB26AS0005-20050502
Patch Kit 6 = T64V51BB27AS0006-20061208

If you want to send me the sys_check my email is @ .org.uk

Cheers,

Rob
Waelkhalil_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rob

I sent you an e-mail please check it...
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

The other thread that you posted in, isn't really that relevant, as that was for upgrading from 5.1 rather than 5.1A - The Tru64 naming convention isn't exactly the best !

The link I posted previously should contain the detail to get from 5.1A to 5.1B. I don't foresee any issues with Oracle 9i R2.

I'll take a look at the other queries you emailed about later.

Cheers,

Rob
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

The patch kit docs are available at: http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/patch/
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

To answer one of your other queries...

> shall we need additional OSF-BASE licenses
> to add the 2 processors to each server?

Yes, if I remember correctly.
These would normally be provided as part of the CPU upgrade kit.

A 4 CPU ES45 needs 200 units for OSF-BASE. You currently have 100.

Cheers,

Rob
Waelkhalil_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Rob

What about if we changed the 2 currently (1GHz )running processors with 4 processors each 1.25GHz ,
the system and license can work with the new processors ? or not ?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Your existing licenses should be OK for 2 of the new CPUs. If you don't install the additional licenses when you have 4 CPUs installed, then you'll get an error along the lines of "...not enough units...".

As I said previously, the new CPUs should come with the license that you need to load with the "lmf" utility.

Cheers,

Rob
Waelkhalil_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Rob

I thinks the 4 CPU's will not be new,they will be refurbished , where i can get a license for them ?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If your existing OSF-BASE licenses have the MOD_UNITS key option (check with lmf list full) then I think you can use lmf modify to change the number of units up to the 200 that you require.

Cheers,

Rob
Waelkhalil_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Rob

Yes I have Key Options: MOD_UNITS, ALPHA

i will try and let you know...