UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

CIs aging out in uCMDB.

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Occasional Advisor

CIs aging out in uCMDB.

Discoverable CIs integrated automatically into uCMDB, such as network devices, are aged out after a certain period of time of not being visible in the DB Integration.  This in itself is perfectly normal.  If a device drops off the network & is no longer seen by the DB Integration, then it should age out.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no distinction between network discoverables & other non-discoverables in uCMDB.  Which means that the non-discoverables like Applications & Software are also aging out.

The effect of this on SM9 appears to be that they are marked with an Instance State of Archived, & can no longer be modified or updated.

Does anyone else see this as a serious hole in the system?
10 REPLIES
Neighborhood Admin

Re: CIs aging out in uCMDB.

Don't know if you know but we have created a number of support customer forums that are being monitored and moderate by experience HP Support Engineers, as an extra service for those customers who have a valid support contract. One of these forums is for UCMDB.

These forums will only be accessible to those customers who have a valid support contract.

For more information on how to get access to these forums please see:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/News/Support-Customer-Forums-now-available/m-p/5610181#U5610181 

IMPORTANT: You need to have a valid support contract tied to your HP Passport profile in order to access this forum. See the link I provide above on the support customer forums for more details. 

If you have any questions please let me know.

Greetings,

Bill

Occasional Advisor

OK, but I thought I had asked a simple question, for which I thought there would surely be a simple answer.

The question is: When a CI ages out in uCMDB, what effect does that have on the matching Ci in SM9?

Neighborhood Admin

Hi,

I am not an engineer so I wouldn't be able to answer your question. I just wanted to bring the specific forum to your attention just incase you don't get an answer in time.

Greetings,

Bill

Occasional Advisor

Thanks, Bill. I appreciate your efforts to guide me in the right direction.  Unfortunately, I seem to be getting no support from within the hierarchy in my workplace, because I have to go through the "proper channels", which BTW includes HP Premium Support. So the short answer is, no, I can't get a valid support contract tied to my HP Passport profile. Again, thanks for your replies & I really do appreciate your patience & persistence.

I was rather hoping that there would be someone out there who could give me a simple yes or no answer.

Respected Contributor

What do you mean by "Unfortunately, there seems to be no distinction between network discoverables & other non-discoverables in uCMDB"
HPE Expert

[ Edited ]

Any CI in UCMDB which has "Enable Aging" attribute set to True, and wasn't discovered without change ("Last Access Time" sttribute) or updated (last Modified Time) will be deleted after aging threshold. 

So, If you have a list of CIs that in your opinion shouldn't be aged, please change "Enable Aging" attribute to False for particular CIs. It could be done either manually or by enrichment.

Behaviour with SM depends on version. New adapter for SM 9.30 (UCMDB 9.05 and north) is checking real deletion of CIs from history. All previous versions of UCMDB/SM adapters checking if CI is part of TQL subset. CIs removed from TQL subset will be deleted on SM side as well.

Hope this helps. 

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
Occasional Advisor

Dima,

Thank for the reply. Since then, I have enabled aging only on the adapter for discoverables, which means the discoverable network devices will age out, while the static non-discoverables like applications will not.

Regards,

Rodney.

HPE Expert

I'm still not sure what the problem is... 

Could you please elaborate?

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
Respected Contributor

Dima, if I understand the problem correctly, I think the non discoverable data had the enable aging flag set, and therefore was getting aged out. This has now been removed. 

Occasional Advisor

Correct. Aging had been set to on in CI Lifecycle. The non-discoverables had aged out before we realised it. We could not re-establish the non-discoverables in uCMDB without creating more duplicates in SM9 after the next Push.

Since then,

. The SM9 Admins reset all Archived CIs to Available.

. The Global ID was removed from all CIs in SM9.

. An export of all occurrences of CI Name & Global ID in uCMDB was created.

. This export table was imported into SM9.

. This meant that all existing discoverable CIs would match via the Global ID.

. A manual Push was performed.

. Absence of duplicates CIs in SM9 was verified.

. Non-discoverable CIs were introduced back into uCMDB via Excel Integration.

. Global IDs were again updated.

. Absence of duplicates CIs in SM9 was again verified.

. The daily Push was re-scheduled.

Very elegant, I thought.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event