UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HP uCMDB : Need help on VMware VirtualCenter Topology by VIM

Regular Advisor

HP uCMDB : Need help on VMware VirtualCenter Topology by VIM

HP uCMDB: 9.05.CUP12.351

DDM Content Pack: 11.08.802

Hi experts,

I have five VMware VirtualCenter CIs as input to the VMware VirtualCenter Topology by VIM job. All these trigger CIs belong to the same probe. The probe box has 3GB RAM and one (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU.

On probe.properties file, we have:

appilog.agent.local.services.defaultMaxJobThreads = 8

On wrapperEnv.conf file, we have:

set.GATEWAY_MIN_MEM=1024
set.GATEWAY_MAX_MEM=1024

set.MANAGER_MIN_MEM=1024
set.MANAGER_MAX_MEM=1024

The job runs for a long time which is understandble as it discover copious amount of CIs and relationships. The CPU usage is always close to a 100% and Free Heap memory (as noticed on the jvm_statistics log) eventually drops to less than 10MB and the probes dies.

I have two questions:

1: How can I isolate which VC is causing the problem ? I was thinking of keeping one VC CI on the trigger TQL and filtering the rest out and repeating this process for all the 5 CIs.

2: If running them one at a time works smooth, how can I split this job into 5 routines ? Do I need to create 5 copies of Trigger TQl (for each CI) and 5 copies of the job.

Or, Is it possible to have one job and 5 trigger TQls such that they run sequentially one after the other?

Kindly oblige,

Thanks,

Praveen

7 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: HP uCMDB : Need help on VMware VirtualCenter Topology by VIM

- Change set.MANAGER_MAX_MEM and set.GATEWAY_MAX_MEM to 1400. Service restart will required.

- In case the probe is running under VMware set both min and max equal 1400.

- Check that discovery job has no creation of communication log set to always.

- If there is no improvement, open the case with support.

BTW, What OS you are running on?

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
Regular Advisor

Hi Dima,

Appreciate your response.
I have ran this job with the settings you've suggested but the performance is as bad as it was before.

When I run this job on one VC at a time, it finishes successfully but the probes crash when run on all of them.

I'm looking for a solution at the script level such that the job can be controlled and run on individual VC CIs. Case with HP Support has been opened.

Thanks,
Praveen
HPE Expert

I was under imperssion that probe crash is an issue here.

Changing of memory setting won't change  system performance unless you still running on low heap memory.  In this case Garbage Collector of JVM will run all the time, making the overal performance less than you have on separate runs.

Please check wrapper.log for GC printouts and jvm statistics for Free HEAP memory.

Generally 100% CPU is a sign of missing CPU teaks as well :).

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Regular Advisor

Hi Dima,

The Support folks recommended that we change the Adapater configuration for VMware VirtualCenter Topology by VIM.

Are the Execute Options like 'Max. threads' and 'Max. execution time' overrides to the settings available in DiscoveryProbe.properties file ?

These configuration changes take effect on just this job and not on all the jobs associated with a probe. Am I understanding this right ? Or is it completely two different things ?

Kindly provide some clarity. Attached screenshot.

Thanks,

Praveen

Regular Advisor

Hello,

Can someone please clarify my previous question ?

The final Adapter configuration settings that helped us with the VMware_VirtualCenter_Topology_by_VIM job is:

Max. threads: 2

Max. execution time: 3600000

When we run the job with the above settings, the Java heap free does not go below a 100MB. But earlier, it used to go as low as 1MB and then crash.

Thanks,

Praveen

HPE Expert

The settings you're talking about will  affect only Discovery Jobs using the altered adapter.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Regular Advisor

Thanks, Dima.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event