UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Perspective Based Views vs. Pattern Views

Trusted Contributor

Perspective Based Views vs. Pattern Views

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Recently my company has acquired HP DDM to populate our UCMDB, with 2 core use-cases in our Business Case: Impact Analysis (to be eventually integrated with Service Manager), and Change Detection/Verification (really, root cause analysis, having the ability to compare snapshots, etc).

Rather than beginning with discovery of our entire IT environment, we began by limiting DDM to discover only the infrastructure components composing our main business application - this a very large application, spanning a ton of technology, including everything from switches, hosts, databases (sql and DB2 on z/OS), mainframe, vmware, custom developed software, websphere, etc.

Given our two core use-cases, impact analysis and change detection/verification, I'm wondering how it might be best to construct our Views.

From what I gather from the Modeling documentation, Perspective Based Views are primarily for monitoring scenarios (CI's are monitored by SiS?), whereby the Views are utilized by the BAC's Dashboard application, is that true?

For building Views for Impact Analysis, would it be best to build a hierarchical Pattern View, whereby a Business Service CI (our main line of business app) is the upper most level, the next level down is Software Element CI's (i.e. WebSphere or custom developed software packages), the next level down is Hosts, and then anything else below Host's we're interested in doing impact analysis on (i.e. WebSphere JVM's). ? This way Impact Analysis can be done at any level to determine if the top level CI, Business Service CI, will be diemed affected or not... ?

And for our change-detection use-case, would it be best for us to build Pattern Views that do not contain Business CI's at all, but rather just infrastructure components linked by whatever means... a composite application map really ?

Any advice you have in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES
HPE Blogger

Re: Perspective Based Views vs. Pattern Views

I have 3 comments:
1) The BAC Dashboard displays any view, and it is valuable if you have some kind of monitoring.
2) Also in Perspective view you can construct the view that you defined, but you will need the relevant perspective. Perspective is basically Pattern that you invoke on a root CI.
3) Regarding Impact - if you have BAC 8.0, then the Dashboard Console has Business Impact analysis, built in the application.
Trusted Contributor

1) Monitoring is not in scope here.

2) I understand what a Perspective View is, I'm wondering which type of View best suits my two use-cases. Given my use-cases, what are the advantages of using a Perspective View as opposed to a Pattern View, and vice versa. The documentation seems to indicate that Perspective Views are mostly used for monitor Views, but I'm not entirely sure.

3) Would this not require monitoring though? Initially we just want to be able to simulate impact analysis for our Change Management processes.

Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Hi David,
In order to understand what type of view to consume, you need to clearly understand the use case and the difference between those types of views.
Pattern view in most cases represent either an application or group of applications with similar topology. If you are interested in having single view for all your applications with identical topology, it is always easier to go with "pattern view" approach.
However, if you would like every application/infrastructure part with similar topology to be represented by separate views and also you want to have different "Point of views" for application, Perspective-based view is your choice.
Main idea of perspective is "create once - consume forever", meaning that you can create:
* perspective which will represent all the network resources connected to host
* perspective which will represent all the database resources consumed by application
After that you may create different Models or CI Collections for Applications you're interested in in "Modeling Studio" and applying perspectives over those models, easily get similar information for the content of your models.

Impact analysis may be done over whatever view type you use, so there's no real difference.

So in order to decide on the option to proceed with, I suggest you to analyze - are you interested in topology with various applications (Pattern view) or similar topologies for lots of applications (Perspective-based view).

Hope that helps somehow,
Alex
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event