UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Prevent CI or CIT from being auto discovered into uCMDB

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Occasional Advisor

Prevent CI or CIT from being auto discovered into uCMDB

[ Edited ]

I am working wiht uCMDB 8.03 and DDM Probe. Initially we set it to discover CI's within our data center subnets. Recently we turned it loose to the rest of our network...

I am now getting serveral hundred errors from Desktops and Laptops that I do not wish to collect in the uCMDB anyway.

Is there a way for the Probe and uCMDB to determine if the item is a Desktop and/or laptop and stop further discover jobs form running on that device and/or remove it form the uCMDB?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. - Hp Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Prevent CI or CIT from being auto discovered into uCMDB

Well you got what you asked for :-)

What you can do is:
1) Minimize the IP ranges, set what you need.
2) On the WMI and NTCMD jobs there is the job that discover the HOST resource, that will tell you the type of windows they got, you can later create an enrichment that deletes those hosts.

I'm guessing that the errors you are getting are because permissions.

Hpe it helps
Frequent Advisor

I assume we are talking about the "Host Resources" jobs.

You can simply modify the trigger TQL for the relevant jobs by adding a condition on the Host like "Host is Desktop = false"

Regards,
Oleh
Esteemed Contributor

Hi ,

what is the acully job you are using to get the hosts data?

Thanks
Haytham Hosny
Haytham Hosny
Occasional Advisor

Limiting the IP's is OK except someone would have to manage them manually should they change. - Manual Sux :(

The enrichment is a good idea. I've created one that will remove CI's with Desktop Operating systems on IP's outside our data center. This will work provided the DDM Probe can discover the OS though.. So I may need to add as many credentials as possible to detect all of those CIs.

Still looking into the trigger recommendation.

We're using several discovery jobs such as WMI, Telnet, SSH, SNMP, NTCMD..

There are defenitely goods and bads to having everything in the uCMDB that's for sure....
Occasional Contributor

I have this same problem. We want to dicover XP, Vista & Win 2000 machines via the IP sweep & Host Connection jobs.

But we do not want to interrogate them further in the Host Resources job. So what I want to do is to create a new trigger that will prevent this.

I have added a trigger, where the TQL are setup as follows :

Host linked with IP. On the Host, I set a condition that limits the results returned to only display Hosts with a Operating System to be NOT like XP, Vista & 2000.

But the trigger doesn't let the job run properly.

What might be wrong?
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

What do you mean "you have added a trigger TQL"? Have I understood you correctly that you have added a trigger TQL to the job?

If so, it won't work because job will trigger on each result of all trigger TQLs assigned to it.

Please provide more details about the behavior you see.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event