UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

UCMDB 10.11 and widgets

Occasional Contributor

UCMDB 10.11 and widgets

[ Edited ]

Hello UCMDB gurus,

I am working on a unique implementation of Asset Manager and UCMDB.  The project is focused around the tracking, topology definition and impact analysis of customer managed voice and data circuits.  

A brief overview of the solution design

Circuits are designed and built out in Asset Manager.  A Circuits is made up of relationships (sequences) between N assets.   These relationships are defined using the Cable & Circuit module in AM.  

The Circuit and the relationships are passed over to UCMDB, creating CI's and most importantly, the topology.   This is where things get interesting, as we now have visual representation of what a Circuit look likes. 

The customer can also do things like impact analysis (i.e., what happens if a piece of Fiber is cut or a switch goes down?).

Here is an example of a simple circuit topology using UCMDB Views.

---------------------------------------

The Problem:  

We setup Views to show Circuit Topology.   The customer has 20,000 Circuits and we have ran into insurmountable performance issues (~ 25 minutes to logon).   We have been working with HP R&D and Support.   The lag is caused by how UCMDB applies permissions/security.   To summarize, we found out the hard way that UCMDB does not scale to 20,000 Views.  

The workaround is to move to the UCMDB browser and use widgets to display topology rather than using Views.   HP has provided an example of a topology widget and it looks promising.

HP suggested I try out this forum.  I am looking for input/advice on the below items.

Questions/Comments:

*  Can UCMDB Browser provide a URL that takes you right into a Circuit CI and the topology widget?  The use case is help desk agents need a link that will bring them straight into the topology.   If they have to logon to UCMDB Browser, that is fine, but they don't want to search for the Circuit CI again, just straight to the picture.   <see below>

*  The History widget is not showing "removed" relationships.   This is a must have for the customer.  Also want to update the <Change related CIs> section to show you what type of change (Add, Remove, Update).   Right now it just says "Related".....I have it highlighted below.

*  Recommended documentation for customer to learn more about widgets?   I have Admin/Config guides in my notes.

*  Impact Analysis - can we use the OOB reports with UCMDB Browser?    ​If not, what are our options?

*  Does the History widget capture and display CI relationship changes (add/remove/update)

*  Can we do reporting on topology changes with widgets - (ex. what has changed in Circuit 123 in last 30 days).  What does this look like?  We were using the View Change Report.

*  Can we call a UCMDB OOB report from the browser?

*  Confirm that UCMDB Browser security works the same as thick client.

*  When you are in the topology widget, what is the best way to select a node and view all the attributes?

*  Are there any licensing impacts with switching to UCMDB Browser?

-----------------------------------------

Thanks,

~ Cody Wolf

cody.wolf@avnet.com

1 REPLY

Re: UCMDB 10.11 and widgets

[ Edited ]

Hi Cody,

Thanks for sharing these questions, I have attempted to answer them, hope they can be of help.
Please feel free to contact us if there is something you would like to double-check.

Questions and Answers:

*  Can UCMDB Browser provide a URL that takes you right into a Circuit CI and the topology widget?  The use case is help desk agents need a link that will bring them straight into the topology.   If they have to logon to UCMDB Browser, that is fine, but they don't want to search for the Circuit CI again, just straight to the picture.   <see below>

A\ Several widgets and also good to note that reports have the option to generate the "Direct link".
Among the Widgets, Properties, Environment, Impact Simulation have the "Direct link" option.
In regards the "Dynamic Widget" we were testing, it does not have that button.  But the current URL when the "Dynamic Widget" is on top can be used to send.

*  The History widget is not showing "removed" relationships.   This is a must have for the customer.  Also want to update the <Change related CIs> section to show you what type of change (Add, Remove, Update).   Right now it just says "Related".....I have it highlighted below.

A\ This I will check with the team, if they can provide us a change request to track.

*  Confirm that the R&D demo was done on a multi-tenant UCMDB instance.
A\ Yes, we used a multi-tenant instance.

*  Recommended documentation for ICN to learn more about widgets?   I have Admin/Config guides in my notes.
A\
UCMDB Browser Features / User Guide / Recommended chapter: Chapter 2: Learn about Widgets
https://hpln.hp.com/node/19597/attachment 
UCMDB Browser Installation and Configuration / Recommended chapter for Widgets that needs to be configured: Chapter 4: Integrate with Other Applications
https://hpln.hp.com/node/19598/attachment 
Modeling Guide / How to Create a Dynamic Widget page 259.
https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM00642842

*  Impact Analysis - can we use the OOB reports with UCMDB Browser?    If not, what are our options?
A\ The reports available in "Reports > Topology Reports" can be found in the Reports tab of UCMDB Browser. From there can be customized, scheduled, exported and linked to a URL.

*  Confirm that UCMDB Browser security works the same as thick client.
A\ Yes, both are managed in the same page, in the UCMDB-UI > Security > Roles Manager.
For the UCMDB Browser some permission we can define are:
- Access to the UCMDB Browser UI.
- Access to specific Widgets.
- General Actions like "Data Update" which are shared with the UCMDB-UI.

*  When you are in the topology widget, best way to select a node and see all the attributes, similar to how it works in the thick client?
A\ Click in the CI in "Textual mode" and in properties tab, click in "URL to CI Properties in UCMDB Server" then "Open link" and in new tab all properties will be displayed.

*  Send Avnet the R&D widgets so we can setup in ICN environment.
A\ This was sent in the support case.

*  Confirm that we have no performance issues with the topology widget.
A\ Based in my experience in the R&D Demo the performance was good and we were using same DB.

*  Are there any licensing impacts with switching to UCMDB Browser?
A\ No, to be able to log in the UCMDB Browser the UCMDB license just needs to be valid.

Best Regards
Rodrigo Coto
SW Support Engineer
rodrigo.coto@hp.com

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event