UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

UCMDB - Unreliable and unfindable field packages

Frequent Advisor

UCMDB - Unreliable and unfindable field packages

[ Edited ]

Howdy again,

What do others think about having a non-HP owned UCMDB discovery package repository, with proper version control?

What do HP think about the idea?

Does anyone have any packages they would consider polishing up for public consumption and improvement if such existed? For example, I have "HP Blade Chassis/Enclosure" pretty much ready to go and would share it if it was allowed.

I guess there are a few gaping problems with UCMDB packages:

1. There are no versions (that I can see) embedded in the field packages, so confidence is low when a new one is received
2. My feedback on field packages is often ignored, even for break fixes
3. I have no access to the packages, other that through paid support. I also have no browseable index of what packages are available at all, so if there we features I could be using I'd never know.

Thoughts? Maybe such a place already exists but I don't know about it!

~NJ!~

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

22 REPLIES
Frequent Advisor

Re: UCMDB - Unreliable and unfindable field packages

Anyone for tennis?
Occasional Visitor

Hey Jim,
I have some packages that may be helpful.

Send me a email. Greg@hpbto.com.

Take care,
Greg
Occasional Advisor

I do agree with the problems you have stated in the post and from what I was able to gather, HP acknowledged most of these converns. Existing non-compatible patterns, lacking documentation in the product API are all frustrating. There is a talk regarding building a portal within HP. Unfortunaltely not given any date. I guess the practitionners call and this forums might be a starting point in sharing the patterns. Alternatively we could start an independent portal if HP can not deliver on this.
thx
IK
Frequent Advisor

Cooool.

Anyway, just to start it rolling, here's some stuff we've been working on:

* Fixes to MQSeries pattern - MQv6 local queues are not collected properly without script mods. Added support for MQ 5.2. Added support for xinetd Unix implementations. Considering how to add "client port" to a lower level than qmgr.
* SonicMQ discovery
* Inprise/Borland Visibroker CORBA server objects by IDL/OAPort (using osagent/osfind over shell)
* HP Blade Chassis by host and HPSIM serial number (shows containment of hosts and switches by slot number in blade chassis)
* Patches for HPSIM to fix broken HBA detection (to assist the above)
* Discovery of Compaq/HP iLO by HTTP error message (very simple, does not link to host - just)
* IBM CICS Transaction Gateway (windows only)
* Quick script hack to fix Linux serial number (one liner, posted elsewhere on this site)

... to name a few. I'd love to hear what others have worked on so we can all stop reinventing complex stuff & maybe start sharing.

Cheers,

~NJ!~
Frequent Advisor

Oh yaeh... Also have one to get Oracle client ports to user@hostname:port:sid using combo of lsof and v$session/v$process. More granular than just client port -> server port.
Advisor

Jim,

I totally agree with your idea of a common repository enabling us to share our home made discovery packages.

Having a dedicated forum outside BAC is also not a bad idea !

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1323012

I would be interested in your fixed HP SIM and your HP Blade package. Could you sent it to me at hellocutty73@gmail.com.

Thanks
C.
Frequent Advisor

Sent - best of luck.

~NJ!
Honored Contributor

Hi Jim,

Can you pl send me the HP Blade package. Email id is amit.bandekar@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Frequent Advisor

Sent. Please send feedback if (when!) it fails.

~NJ!~
Trusted Contributor

i've encountered int he past a few ideas/suggestions of creating cmdb/ddm content site.

i guess if we don't get any updated on a official HP portal, we can make our own.

i could set-up a simple portal + forums probably next month.

if anyone is interested..
Trusted Contributor

ok,

the forum system is set up

http://forums.cmdbsme.pcriot.com

Frequent Advisor

I've had skazal.com set up for this kind of thing. We've go a over 180 registered users. Happy to offer that.
Frequent Advisor

I'd be interested in the MQ fix. I've done a bunch of work to that already, but getting the individual queue CIs is still on my to-do list. - Thomas.Dosedel@bcbsfl.com
Trusted Contributor

hey thomas,

i know skazal.com.... unfortunately doesn't look like people are coming there... :(

maybe pubilsh it again here in the forum since CMDB seems to pick up onyl recently...
Frequent Advisor

I was unaware of an existing site - anyway, I've posted both the blade chassis and mq packages to forums.cmdbsme.pcriot.com.

~NJ!~

Frequent Advisor

I tried accessing the MQ package at forums.cmdbsme.pcriot.com, but all I got was a 404 error and a bunch of popup ads. Anyone else have luck?
Trusted Contributor

i'll check it later...
(seems that domain is blocked from where i am now;) )

you can also access the forums:
forums.cmdbsme.pcriot.com

Frequent Advisor

FYI, I've been unable to get process--(use)-->mq_queue for mq 5/6. runmqsc simply doesn't have enough in it to provide the info.

Maybe v7 will have more, haven't looked yet. Maybe re-doing the whole lot with the Perl or Java mqcsv interface might be a better option, but dunno. In other words, don't get too excited!

~NJ!~
Trusted Contributor

ok,

downloading attachments now works properly.

FIXED. :)

Advisor

Forums site is redirected to :
http://staff.x10hosting.com/suspended.page/

Is it working for you ?
Jov
Honored Contributor

Hi All,

Any update and/or agreement regarding this?

I think its also in HP's interest to support this if they want to grow the CMDB market with uCMDB.

Jov
Occasional Advisor

Has there been any progresss in this area? I don't see a uCMDB or DDM section to HPs forum yet. Are there user groups or other forums out there that still work to share UCMDB questions or is this it?
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event