UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

import CI's from external cmdb

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Advisor

import CI's from external cmdb

Hello!
I have to import CI's and its relationships from external cmdb (based on MS SQL 2005) to ucmdb.
I don't mean federation, exactly phisical copying from exernal DB to ucmdb.
I know that it's possible with DDM discovery (with standard or anvanced license).
But is there a way to do it with basic license only?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: import CI's from external cmdb

No, it's not possible to do having only basic (aka foundation) license.
Advisor

Thanks, Dmitry, for reply!

But what about replication job? What does it used for? Using this job it's possible to replicate data from two external db, right?
I cannot use it in my issue?
HPE Expert

Replication job does what is called - replicates data from one data store to another data store. When you create a data store in uCMDB you use a specific adapter to work with appropriate data storage (internal - uCMDB or external one like external DB).

As of now there is no generic adapter available that can do _replication_ from some external DB to uCMDB. If you work with uCMDB 8.0 you (in theory) can build such adapter using Federation Framework SDK. So I should correct myself - with uCMDB 8.0 you _might_ do what you want with a basic license. But I'm afraid in reality (lack of documentation, examples etc.) it would be close to impossible.

With Import from DB job that is available OOB in uCMDB 8.0 you can achieve your goal pretty easy, but it won't work with just a basic license.
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure about the licensing issues, but GenericDBAdapter is an approach one should keep in mind.
From what I know, this adapter comes together with Foundation license, but for now I cannot commit it.
Advisor

Thanks a lot, Dmitry!

Alexander, yes, GDBA comes with basic license.
At the HP conference about ucmdb the man from HP (I don't know who's he) said that we can use generic DB adapter in our case. May be he didn't understand us correctly, may be we didn't explain the task up to the end, but his answer was GDBA. Unfortunately we had not time to learn a details.
And the question about GDBA remained opened, is it able to help us or not.
HPE Expert

Yes, GDBA is the way to go in this case. In v8.0 GDBA has been enhanced to include an option not only to execute "on the fly" federation TQLs, but also to replicate the results of such federated TQLs to uCMDB. But as always the devil is in details - the documentation doesn't tell how exactly it can be done. Only regular "on the fly" GDBA usage is explained in the docs.

DDMi Federation adapter (EDDBAdapter) available with uCMDB 8.0 was built based on GDBA with replication option. So if you can get hold of it - it might be a good option to learn how it was built and how you can do similar stuff for your SQL 2005 DB.
Advisor

Ok. thanks once again!

I'll try to learn this package.
Regular Advisor

hello aliver

have you done this via GDBA? I have the same problem, could you kinldy share the documents or details about how to use GDBA to replication CIs?My email :btao@hp.com. Many thanks
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event