UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

uCMDB Application Mapping

Valued Contributor

uCMDB Application Mapping

[ Edited ]

We are wanting to start application mapping within the uCMDB. Does anyone have a process they could share on what they did? I know that we'll have to contact application SMEs for info but is there a checklist or best practices? Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. - Hp forum Moderator

9 REPLIES
Occasional Visitor

Re: uCMDB Application Mapping

I thought uCMDB comes with discovery and mapping....that is what it says in the technical document "An insider's view to the HP Universal CMDB".

It says "Unlike network-oriented discovery products or asset inventory products, HP Discovery and Dependency Mapping continuously explores configuration items from Layer 2 through Layer 7 of the OSI model, as well as deep device and application-specific information. As important, the software also discovers and maps the relationships between these CIs beyond the traditional uses and contains relationship types."
Valued Contributor

Yes, it does come with discovery but I'm wanting to do custom discovery. For in house developed applications.
Valued Contributor

Hi JB,

HP offers some costumed discovery training. Have you thought about going to these training? It will teach you the basics.

If this is not good enough for you, I know that my company EOH Europe is also providing training for advanced discovery in Europe. Have you check that there isn't other partners in US which does the same?

Regards,
Olivier Lauret
BAC and uCMDB expert
EOH Europe
www.eoh-europe.com
Occasional Visitor

Hi James,
are you still looking for a tool to do application discovery of your custom apps as part of your uCMDB Application Mapping project ?
Camille
Valued Contributor

Not looking for a tool but more like documentation or a checklist of things to do when starting application mapping of a custom app.
Advisor

Hi James,
Here is what I have done when making a application map:

* Ensure that you have discovered the required components that make up the application, like server(s), databases, running service or process.
* Go to the view manager and drag over the components that make up your application
* Enter in the attributes for each of these components that indentifies the particluar server, process etc
* Link the components using 'add relationship', specifying the type of relationship it is

For exactly how to do each of these steps, the documentation can help, also start with something very simple and then build upon it.
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

have you found any document or can you guide me how to build,I need to build the application map?

Regards,
hp4u
Regular Visitor

Try this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekj6f-WmmeQ

HP UCMDB Best Practices: Application Mappings

Good luck!

Occasional Visitor

We have more than a 1000 business applications. We are using Casewise has a modeling tool. Those has structure are injected in the ucmdb. Now, we are working on developing a standard signatures that will hold the information needed to allow UD to discover those and link the infrastructure CI to the busness Apps CI.

We will try to use a iso standard based on assets discovery 197703. And force developper to create those signature in the source management software the build packadge delevered on the server.

I will post later this year if this works. If any did try something like this i would like to know. 

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event