UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

uCMDB question: Owner of a node. Attribute or relationship???

Esteemed Contributor

uCMDB question: Owner of a node. Attribute or relationship???

[ Edited ]

Hi all

We are dealing with the requirement that our customer would like to associate the owner of a physical server with the CI of type Node i uCMDB. Means each CI Node should contain the information of the person who owns the machine in the organization. Currently i see two options for this.

Attribute: The name of the owner is being stored as a attribute with the CI itself (type Node).

Relationship: The owner of the server (Node) is represented by a single individual CI (type not yet clear). The ownership of the server (Node) is stored in uCMDB by adding a relationship between the Node and the CI representing the person (owner).

From my understanding i'd say both are valid options. But i can imagine, that one offers more flexibility. As for example a machine could potentially have two or more owners for whatever reason. So i would personally think adding a single CI for each owner and then building a relationship for each would be more flexible.

But i'm open to any other suggestion. Also what CI type is best to use to represent a person in a organization?

Thanks for the help. Points will be awarded.

Cheers

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: uCMDB question: Owner of a node. Attribute or relationship???

Using the owner represented by connected CIT makes more sense and gives more flexibility - you can store additional information about the person, who owns the node, tie the person to the group/organization, etc.
Additionally, whenever needed, you can leverage the Person - Node relationships, storing certain information there (ownership type, duration, expiration date) and define aging, so by default the ownership is going to expire within xxx days.

Regards,
Alex
Frequent Advisor

Re: uCMDB question: Owner of a node. Attribute or relationship???

Hi,

I faced a similiar kind of situation.
I ended up by creating the Attribute (Server Owner Name) & then did the bulk upload for the server owner names.

Also its a very tedious process & is not very flexible, but HP only came up with solution.

In case of two owners I didvided the view based on Application,Database,Windows Servers etc..

Thanks!
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event