UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

uCMDB - search CI

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Frequent Advisor

uCMDB - search CI

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Does uCMDB have an advanced search capability for the end users? There is a CMDB Search beside the View Browser, but it seems very simple and not too user-friendly (I have to dig down in the CIT structure to check the CI types using checkboxes, and there is only one search field - the CI Name).

So do you know whether there is a more sophisticated CMDB search option on the GUI?

Thank you,
Barna Kosa

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

9 REPLIES
Esteemed Contributor

Re: uCMDB - search CI

Hi ,

actually the searching capabilities in UCMDB doesn't provide to use any advanced search maybe they will provide it in the next version which is 9.00

Thanks
Haytham Hosny
Haytham Hosny
Frequent Advisor

Actually CMDB has one of the most advanced search mechanisms ever which is called TQL.

It allows you to search CI's by any artifact.

Regards,
Oleh
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the answers.

TQL is really advanced but if a user logs in and wants to search for a CI, it's too complex to assemble a TQL (and it requires a knowledge about the CIT model as well).

For example if you click on a CI type and enter the show instances menu, you get a list where you can apply filters. Could these solution be accessible inside the Application area? So not based on views, just an advanced search (in many cases when a user logs in as guest he doesn't have any detailed knowledge about TQLs and the CIT structure).
Esteemed Contributor

hello Barna
please consider that by design the uCMDB is not supposed to be a end user application as far as i know. this means neither the performance nor the usability of the application are made for the usage of end users without application knowledge. if you need to provide data to end user maybe you can use reporting to do so.
Frequent Advisor

Thanks tibornad. It was just a question from the customer side inquiring whether it is possible. But maybe you're right, uCMDB is not for end-user simplicity. They will have SM integrated as well with some uCMDB data synchronized so the uCMDB shouldn't be used for direct access.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Barna,

apologies for posting in ur thread (I wasnt getting anywhere with my issue and the my post isnt getting any response).

For search CIs to be enabled in uCMDB , do we need to make some changes in the uCMDB side? my browse views does work , but search CIs tab is not working at all. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
brav0
I am Listening..
Valued Contributor

Hi,

The Advanced search option is embedded in the ITUniverse Manager.

If the user has the information on CITypes then he can ever filter it.

If the user does not have the knowledge on CITypes he can just type the name of the CI he is searching and can find it if discovered. This option is available even in 8.x

There is no special change that needs to be made to search CIs.

Regards,
Nagendra Swamy
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nagendra,

Thank you for the response.
I have opened another thread for this issue, please contribute in it.

thx
'brav0
I am Listening..
Esteemed Contributor

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event