UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ucmdb server crash due to unknown db type error

Occasional Advisor

ucmdb server crash due to unknown db type error

I have successfully installed ucmdb 10.1 on a centos VM but, on launch, it crashes with an unknown db type error, present in practically all the log files including error.log (UCMDBServer/runtime/log/error.log)

I have not found where to specify the db type (postgresql) in any of the configuration files present and i'm surprised that the ucmdb does not know it, since during installation, postgres was installed too - and i specified several usernames and passwords.

Any idea how to solve this?

An extract of error.log:

[WrapperSimpleAppMain] Failed execute operation in authorized context
com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.CmdbDalException: [ErrorCode [-2147483648] undefined error code]
Unknown db type [null] !!!
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.DBDialectFactory.initDialect(DBDialectFactory.java:27)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.ConnectionPoolManager.<init>(ConnectionPoolManager.java:103)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.ConnectionPoolManager.<init>(ConnectionPoolManager.java:95)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.ConnectionPoolManager.<init>(ConnectionPoolManager.java:91)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.ConnectionPoolFactory.getPool(ConnectionPoolFactory.java:28)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.ConnectionPoolFactory.getGlobalPool(ConnectionPoolFactory.java:225)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.SchemaUpgradeToolImpl.internalSettings(SchemaUpgradeToolImpl.java:83)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.SchemaUpgradeToolImpl.hasSchemaChanged(SchemaUpgradeToolImpl.java:35)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.SchemaUpgradeToolImpl.upgradeSchemas(SchemaUpgradeToolImpl.java:23)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.Framework.schemaUpgrade(Framework.java:186)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.Framework.doInit(Framework.java:302)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.Framework.access$200(Framework.java:93)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.Framework$3.executeInContext(Framework.java:279)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.Framework$3.executeInContext(Framework.java:276)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.shared.manage.AuthorizationContextUtils.executeInSystemAuthorizationContext(AuthorizationContextUtils.java:24)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.Framework.init(Framework.java:276)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.Framework.doStartUp(Framework.java:177)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.Framework.access$000(Framework.java:93)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.Framework$1.executeInContext(Framework.java:161)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.Framework$1.executeInContext(Framework.java:158)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.shared.manage.AuthorizationContextUtils.executeInSystemAuthorizationContext(AuthorizationContextUtils.java:24)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.Framework.startUp(Framework.java:158)
        at com.hp.ucmdb.server.Main.startFramework(Main.java:20)
        at com.hp.ucmdb.server.Main.main(Main.java:15)

regards,

10 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: ucmdb server crash due to unknown db type error

First of all, I'd like to point your attention that CentOS isn't in supportability matrix. Only RHEL is there. I know that it almost the same distro, but from supportability perspective it should be RHEL. You could raise ER to support CentOS is you wish.

The DB type and connection parameters is part of UCMDB Server Configuration wizard. Please be sure you're familiar with Deployment guide available at: http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00642992 .

Below is part related to your situation:

Set Up the Database

1.  On the first page of the UCMDB Server Configuration wizard, click Next.
  2.  On the CMDB Schema page, select Create a new schema or Connect to an existing schema and click Next.

Note: When connecting to an existing schema:

•  The CMDB schema version must match the server version. If the versions do not match, an error message is displayed and you must re-enter the schema settings.
    •  The version of the HP UCMDB Discovery and Integrations Content Pack in the file system (installation folder) must be the same as the version in the schema.
  3.  The CMDB Schema Settings page opens. In the DB Type list, select PostgreSQL Server and click Next.
  4.  Enter the details of the schema.
    •  If you are installing a local PostgreSQL database, ensure that the details of the PostgreSQL database are defined correctly.
      • Host name. localhost
      • Port. 5431
      • Schema name. Provide a Schema name of your choice, for example, UCMDB_database.
      • Username. admin
      • Password. admin
    • If you are connecting to a remote PostgreSQL Server, delete the default values, and provide the relevant information.

Note: Ensure that the Schema name follows the PostgreSQL naming conventions:

• The name can contain only lowercase letters, numbers, and underscores
    • The first character must be a lowercase letter.
    • Maximum allowed length is 63 characters

Click Next.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Dima, i'l try this out right now - i had no idea that not creating a schema would impact server launch since it its optional after installing ucmdb.

Regards,

Eric

Occasional Advisor

I have a new error when i click on the finish button to complete creation of the UCMDB schema via the wizard:

could not initialize class com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manager.Framework

which is caused by a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError of the same class.

Any leads.. ?

thanks,

Occasional Advisor

I have another error - when i launch the ucmdb server (it fails as soon as i launch it):

Caused by: com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.CmdbDalException: [ErrorCode [-2147483648] undefined error code]
Can't execute statement [alter table MERGED_CIS add constraint PK_MERGED_CIS primary key (ID, CUSTOMER_ID)], due to exception: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: relation "merged_cis" does not exist
at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.CmdbDalStatementImpl.executeUpdate(CmdbDalStatementImpl.java:233)
at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.jdbc_template.JDBCTemplate.execute(JDBCTemplate.java:152)
... 56 more
Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: relation "merged_cis" does not exist
at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:2157)
at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1886)
at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:255)
at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:555)
at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeWithFlags(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:403)
at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeUpdate(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:331)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingStatement.java:228)
at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.CmdbDalStatementImpl$FlowControlUpdateExecuter.execute(CmdbDalStatementImpl.java:342)
at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.CmdbDalStatementImpl$FlowControlUpdateExecuter.execute(CmdbDalStatementImpl.java:331)
at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.shared.manage.flowmanagement.api.FlowManager.execute(FlowManager.java:227)
at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.CmdbDalStatementImpl.executeUpdate(CmdbDalStatementImpl.java:223)
... 57 more

Occasional Advisor

Umdb server launch is failing with the following error - also i had to manually create the database and I'm abit surprised that this was not done during the installation process.. :

Caused by: com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.CmdbDalException: [ErrorCode [-2147483648] undefined error code]
Can't execute statement [alter table MERGED_CIS add constraint PK_MERGED_CIS primary key (ID, CUSTOMER_ID)], due to exception: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: relation "merged_cis" does not exist
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.CmdbDalStatementImpl.executeUpdate(CmdbDalStatementImpl.java:233)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.jdbc_template.JDBCTemplate.execute(JDBCTemplate.java:152)
        ... 56 more
Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: relation "merged_cis" does not exist
        at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:2157)
        at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1886)
        at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:255)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:555)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeWithFlags(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:403)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeUpdate(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:331)
        at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingStatement.java:228)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.CmdbDalStatementImpl$FlowControlUpdateExecuter.execute(CmdbDalStatementImpl.java:342)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.CmdbDalStatementImpl$FlowControlUpdateExecuter.execute(CmdbDalStatementImpl.java:331)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.shared.manage.flowmanagement.api.FlowManager.execute(FlowManager.java:227)
        at com.mercury.topaz.cmdb.server.manage.dal.CmdbDalStatementImpl.executeUpdate(CmdbDalStatementImpl.java:223)
        ... 57 more

regards,

HPE Expert

Dear Eric,

Provided info not giving option to recognize the problem you're failing with.

Please either publish more logs, or be sure that you're following deployment guide. Especcialy, regarding permissions for DB user.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Occasional Advisor

Hello Dima,

Thanks for your help so far

I was able to get UCMDB running consistently - this happened after succeeding in creating a schema via the configuration wizard, without getting errors.

I have now moved on to installing the configuration manager, which went ok up to the Database Configuration step.

The problem I have is: PostgreSQL is not among the Vendor options and when i select Oracle (because a choice is mandatory), and enter postgres values (port, schema_name etc..): the test fails so basically i'm blocked at this step.

Is there a solution to this ?

Regards,

HPE Expert

Oracle won't work with Postgres.

I kindly ask you to follow Deployment Guide.

It says:

Two types of databases are available – Oracle and MS SQL. The input fields change according to the database type selected. During installation, you can either create a new schema or connect to an existing schema. For details about the schema requirements, see the HP Universal CMDB Support Matrix.   

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your help Dima, though it's a bit dissapointing that postgresql is not supported at this point/level yet it has been a "first class citizen" all along (it's supported by the ucmdb server and data flow probe).

It is indeed stated in the support matrix that postgresql is not supported for linux but the test table just below that statement shows that tests were successfully done for redhat.

I will test other OS / DB combinations and, really, thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Eric.

HPE Expert

Dear Eric,

The learning curve for UCMDB is very steep. I guess, you'll have much more questions later on. There are many folks with experience in UCMDB, who could help you answer almost any question.

Regarding support of PostgreSQL support for CM. We have an ER raised for this http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/LID/QCCR1H90943. 

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event