1753481 Members
4508 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3102 A/B does not connect

Ron Sardena
Advisor

3102 A/B does not connect

I have quite a few 3102B phones that have a problem connecting out of the box.

The boot up/power on sequence is:

• Show phone code and "Requesting IP Address"

• Waiting for DHCP server.... Attempting Layer3 Discovery

• Searchign for NCP L2 (NCP MAC)

• System resetting... OK to turn off power now...

• Requesting IP Address

• Goes back to "Waiting for DHCP server...."

VCX is setup for DHCP. The only programming that we do is plug in the extension. All phones are mac locked. Tried all sorts of isolation techq. Cables are good, tried using a brick, can't force a SW update as it appears that the phone port may not be working?

1 Running VCX 7.1 - phone is provisioned correctly. it never registers. phone is mac locked for self config.

2 Same subnet of the VCX

3 DHCP option 184 is correctly setup (other phones connect)

4 Tried manually entering IP, GW, 3COM PBX/NCP IP address on the 3102B phone, but phone proceeds through the process above while trying to manually enter in the IPs and it locks up on "Waiting for DHCP server.... Attempting Layer 3 Discovery"

Any one else get this type of problem?

This message was edited by rsardena on 2-4-09 @ 12:34 PM
7 REPLIES 7
Luckycharms
Frequent Advisor

If you manually enter an IP address, Mask, Gateway and the IP address of the VCX does into the phone does it work

Make sure the phone is getting a DHCP address first. Does your DHCP server show that an IP address has been leased to the phones MAC address or at least the event viewer shows the MAC address making the request to the DHCP server.

Alterntively load Wireshark on the DHCP server and see if you get DHCP request packets from the MAC addresses of these failing phones?

This message was edited by Luckycharms on 2-4-09 @ 3:22 PM
Ed Holt
Regular Advisor

Are you using voice VLAN? What type of DHCP server?

3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert
3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert CCNA
Kavz
Advisor

I had a similar problem on the 3102 phones...after specifying the MAC address of the Phone on the VCX, the phones came up..

calama
Occasional Advisor

Hi Kavz,

I have the same problem with 3102 phones. I am puting manualy the GW, IP phone and NCP IP, but the phone proceeds the same process described by "RSARDENA".

It seems when you specifying the phone mac address on the VCX, phone comes up. How and where can I do that please??

Thanks' in advance

Kavz
Advisor

Hi Calama,

Where you able to resolve your issue?

MroseMTSC
Visitor

Ed,

I am having the same issue with one of my customers. I AM using VLAN's. I see where the DHCP is getting leased by the server, but the phone is not taking it.

NBX is on VLAN 100 with a 10.100.1.2 address, and the 3102's are on seperate subnets. This problem didnt happen to me until the customer moved a phone from one subnet to another. Then I had him move it back to the original subnet, and it still wouldnt work (same port and everything on the switch).

Does the phone not release the addres internally or something? Here is the error from the status tab on the NBX

Time Last Seen:

Never

Error Count:

Error Code:

0xFFFF

Performance Data:

0000 0000 0000 0000 3C59
2A03 D0FC B500 58BA 8D03
FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF A828
6200 54D1 9603 A828 6200
FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF
FFFF A828 6200 0000 0000
0000 0000

Debug Data:

A828 6200 C865 8E03 FFFF
FFFF A828 6200 0000 0000
A828 6200 0000 0000 0000

Actor Data:

State:Active;Msg:endSession;Po
rt(Id):pDeviceToSession(0);

John_Katzmaier
Valued Contributor

Hi MroseMTSC,

Since you have an NBX system, I suggest that you post your issue in the NBX forum here: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/NBX/bd-p/ip-telephony-nbx-forum

The reason being is that phones discover and connect very differently on the NBX than they do on the VCX.