1748032 Members
4541 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3com 3102 Asterisk - How to

anjo2

3com 3102 Asterisk - How to

Hi,

I have a 3com 3102 voip phone, and i want to connect it to a asterisk server, how i can do that? Is there any how to?

Regards.

Menu:

- 1 View Settings

- 2 Set My IP

- 3 Set SubNetMask

- 4 Set Gateway IP

- 5 Set NCP IP

- 6 VCX Config Menu

-- 6.1 Alt Dnld Server

-- 6.2 Set VLAN Config

--- 6.2.0 Disable VLANs

--- 6.2.1 Enable VLANs (Enter VLAN ID)

- 7 Reserved

- 8 Test LED & LCD

- 9 Test Buttons

- 0 EEPROM-Default

- AB1 Set NCP MAC

- AB2 Show EEProm

- AB3 Ping H3/IP

- AB4 RESET Phone

10 REPLIES 10
SHANEADAMS
Occasional Advisor

I am not aware of any way to make a 3102 phone

work with an Asterisk PBX.  The 3Com phones need

the downloader on the VCX in order to function.

Plus, I don't know how you'd get any of the button

mapping to work.

I wish you luck!

anjo2

What can i do? Any tutorial to make 3102 working with SIP?

Regards.

SHANEADAMS
Occasional Advisor

I've seen/heard rumors from others that they've been able to get it to work, but unfortunately I don't have any resources to provide. 

I did a bit more searching as well on the "official" response,and here's what I found:

- 3Com business phones (excludes early models) will function as EITHER an NBX phone (and thus use proprietary H3 packet protocol communication) OR can be used on a 3Com VCX server (and will then communicate via industry-standard SIP protocol)

- 3Com business phones when powered off have no operating system, and therefore when powered up MUST receive their O/S from either an NBX or a VCX server only.

- Once a 3Com business set boots up and downloads it's SIP operating instructions from a VCX server, it then acts as a SIP-compliant device. Since the configuration is NOT retained when the unit is powered off, and must re-download it's O/S every time it is powered up from ONLY an NBX or VCX server, depending on what system/protocol the phone is to be used.

- This allows a 3Com business set to be used on either NBX or VCX depending on the system it is connected to at any point in time. But his also prevents the 3Com business phone from operating as a SIP phone on any other vendor's system.

Fix: No Fix: Works as Designed

anjo2

Hi,

Where can i get the 3com vcx server, and ncp ip is the 3com vcx server ip?

Regards.

Justin_Goldberg
Valued Contributor

Here's 3com's asterisk, v 1.4.1.1, with install instructions (it runs on an embedded type of board). I don't know anything else about this device and software, other than it has phone os~flash and boot images. There's some manuals on hp's website for this device*. Hopefully this helps.

If this violates copyrights, please message me and I'll remove it.

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1DUSZHPW/3com_Asterisk_1.4.1.1__for_uploaded.net_.zip_links

3Com Asterisk images. Will not run on anything else without some low-level tinkering, I would imagine.

* http://pro-networking-h17007.external.hp.com/us/en/support/converter/index.aspx?productNum=JF049A

allservices

hello Nintendo1889 how are you?
I'm interested in upgrading these phones to SIP protocol

but I fail to locate an file also not mentioned the other league greetings
Justin_Goldberg
Valued Contributor

It's really not possible.

I believe the asterisk box works, but only if it is connected with a VCX on the same LAN.
-Q-

You realize you are replying to a guy who posted this question back in 2010, right?  I doubt he is still checking this board for answers to his question, in fact, he may have already died of old age by now.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>You realize you are replying to a guy who posted this question back in 2010

Actually he is replying to someone who replied ‎2013-12-18 to him.  :-)