IP Telephony - VCX
1753795 Members
6866 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

OUTBOUND Fax via PC 'print queue?' ....thru the VCX ?

eddie_ma
Occasional Contributor

OUTBOUND Fax via PC 'print queue?' ....thru the VCX ?

Hey there folks

per some of the marketing aka at-a-glance material, i understood vcx 9.5 to allow for OUTBOUND Fax Server use.

can this be done to work with PC environment, much as Microsoft Shared Fax Service worked using a Win2003 fax server queue?

how to setup and test?

....or is it really just a flop ?

thanks for any input/comments !

3 REPLIES 3
John_Katzmaier
Valued Contributor

Re: OUTBOUND Fax via PC 'print queue?' ....thru the VCX ?

eddie_ma,

The feature is described in detail in Appendix P of the VCX IP Messaging 9.5 Operations and System Administration Guide. It allows for sending outbound faxes by emailing the document to be faxed to either the VCX IP Messaging server directly or to a third-party email server, such as Microsoft Exchange. In either case, the email must be sent using a specific address format and the document to be faxed must be in TIF, JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, and PDF (with embedded fonts) formats.

If you can send an email by printing, then theoretically it would work via a "PC print queue", although I don't believe that particular configuration was tested nor is it supported.

eddie_ma
Occasional Contributor

a-ha!  lazy me, i stopped at Apendix "L"....should have slogged thru a bit more !

thanks for the direction....-E

John_Katzmaier
Valued Contributor

eddie_ma,

Yeah, those guides can be a bit dense and hard to read at times, but they contain a lot of useful information. I'm glad I could help.