VM Explorer Practitioner Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Condition for direct thin to thin backup

Occasional Visitor

Condition for direct thin to thin backup

Hello,

With the pro edition v 6.1.003, I try to meet requirements for thin to thin backup.

I have several ESX (in a vcenter) with VMExplorer Agent installed.

I try to backup VM with 2 thin disk to "same host as VM" in a NFS datastore. Final size is the provisionned size instead of used size.

Backup is configured to "if backup exist, overwrite existing file in directory" ie full backup

Same with destination "local folder" located on VMExplorer Server

This post give me clues that used space shiould be transferred, not full disk size.

https://trilead.uservoice.com/forums/206865-vm-explorer-features/suggestions/3989946-add-backup-thin-disk-to-thin-disk-in-order-to-sav

could you give me a full information about requirements for thin to hin backup ?

3 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: Condition for direct thin to thin backup

The incremental backups also copy the full disk?

Is the VD service installed and enabled for the ESXi host?  (this is only available for non-free esxi)

This should enable CBT backups which only copies the changed blocks.

Regards

Juanjo

Occasional Visitor

I'm also not getting Thin to Thin backups.  I have vSphere 6 Essentials.  All the hosts have the VD service installed (CBT active).  I'm backing up from an NFS source to an NFS target but the target is getting filled with thick allocated VMDKs.  A server with 14Gb of used space is taking the full 100Gb of storage (and the time to process 100Gb even though 85% is empty).  Thoughts?

HPE Expert

According to:

https://trilead.uservoice.com/forums/206865-vm-explorer-features/suggestions/3989946-add-backup-thin-disk-to-thin-disk-in-order-to-sav

There are  several requirements in order to achieve this thin to thin backup:

1. Source and target ESXi are the same
  2. Not possible on  Free ESXi edition
  3. Disk must be located on VMFS volume
  4. VM must have no snapshots when CBT is enabled

Regards

Juanjo