VM Explorer Practitioner Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Has anyone experience slow uploads to Amazon S3 cloud?

Occasional Contributor

Has anyone experience slow uploads to Amazon S3 cloud?

I'm testing out the S3 cloud service. 

I'm perfoming a simple backup job and the transfer speeds are horrendous. 0.10 - 0.29 mb/s.

I wasn't sure whether is was the network or what. I'm on a 100 mbps fiber connection and I'm running the backup real late at night with no one on the LAN. There is no other LAN activity going on.

Speedtest results in a slight tad under my advertised 100mbps speed. I don't have any bandwidth contorl on any of my switches, or LAN edge vpn router. I'm all good on my side.

Seems either AT&T has some type of throttling on their equipment, or somethings going on with S3, or even VMX.

That's why I wanted to get everyone's experience with using the Amazon S3 cloud service.

2 REPLIES
Occasional Contributor

Re: Has anyone experience slow uploads to Amazon S3 cloud?

After futher testing, I believe there is an issue with Amazon S3.

I dumped the raw VM files on an external HDD and went home to upload it to the cloud from my home, just using a simple drag and drop method from my laptop to S3, bypassing VMX. I just wanted to test to see how a normal upload worked. I'm getting the same results. 

Could be because the sheer size of the VM, I don't know. Next I'm going to try breaking up VM files into three different folders and uploading them one by one to see if the speed increases. If it IS a size issue, maybe the speed with increase if I make the source files smaller by seperating them into different folders.

This still won't solve the ultimate issue, as that method won't work in real-time applciation.

Again, wanted to get anyone's feedback on their experience with VMX and Amazon S3. Have your uploads been smooth at optimal speed?

HPE Expert

Re: Has anyone experience slow uploads to Amazon S3 cloud?

Hello,

I do not have any experience with Amazon S3 cloud.

But before you do not get any reply, here are some suggestions:

1. Contact the Amazon support and ask what upload rate you can expect. Work with them on increasing it.

2. Test the speed by means of a tool, for example:
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/apn/performance-testing-in-continuous-delivery-using-aws-codepipeline-and-blazemeter/

Let us know how it worked out.

Best regards,

Michael