VM Explorer Practitioner Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Incremental backup consistency problem

Occasional Visitor

Incremental backup consistency problem

The Backup has finished successfully, but: old Incremental Backup Backup "Z:\esx55\VEN-Web01\backup-version-2016-06-18-231644" is not consistent.

What do I need to do to get this backup consistent again ?

3 REPLIES

Re: Incremental backup consistency problem

Hello,

This error message indicates that some file might be missing in these backup folders. You should completely delete the folders of these backups (the folders of the full backups including the various incrementals).

This might be due to some problem occurring on the system while VM Explorer was creating those backups. For example, if there is any antivirus software running, make sure you exclude the Z:\esx55 folder so that its not scanned.

Regards,

Sandeep

Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your reply Sandeep.

I was afraid you were going to suggest that I should remove the entire folder - mainly because the error is present for several machines...

I think the problem might have started after some of the machines was moved (vMotion) to run of a different host, and since VmExplorer uses each host to backup from (and not through the systemcenter) I had to edit the Job and change the source host for each machine that was moved.

To me it looks like VmExplorer doesn't support that a machine is moved to another host (VM files il locaded on a SAN).

Any thoughts on that ?

Hello,

Changing ESXi host during vMotion will not cause corruption of backed up VM. In case of vCenter configuration manual recreating of jobs are not needed as VC takes care which VM belongs to which ESX.

During Full/incr backup if any corrupt blocks were backed up using CBT, possibility of corruption is expected. Best way to check is to reset CBT on VM and start with new set of backup.

Secondly, as suggested earlier you can exclude the VMX folder from Antivirus software if installed.

To understand better would need to check logs.

Log collection procedure:

1) In the Web Interface, go to "admin" -> "Settings" -> "Support" and click to "Generate New Debug Report". Download the zip file and provide it to us.

2) Windows Event Viewer Logs. Application and System Logs. Save it in .evt format. Zip and send us back.

3) Task Report which contains the failure message.

Regards,

Sandeep